Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Collyflower1
    • By Collyflower1 11th Apr 18, 9:29 AM
    • 40Posts
    • 9Thanks
    Collyflower1
    Reasonable amount to pay for landline & broadband?
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:29 AM
    Reasonable amount to pay for landline & broadband? 11th Apr 18 at 9:29 AM
    10th Apr 18, 11:51 AM <li class="additional-post-data"> Hi, I'm with BT and pay line rental up-front at 208. This ends on 15th april. I also have basic unlimited broadband at 17mb, unlimited anytime calls and caller privacy (all for 21.50). So, yearly it will come to about 466 (c.39 per month). I have no problems with the service but wonder if the cost is excessive. ? My b-in-law, in Shropshire, 80 miles away, gets all this , so he says, for 27 per month all in and they've just installed superfast broadband. Ive been on the phone to renegotiate a new contract but BT aren't budging on cost. Another queary is that on an online message help facility I was told that my broadband contract ends on 05/09/2018. I didn't think to question this but thought it was together with my landline and even wonder if its 9th of May or 5th of September. On my online bill , my landline & broadband is together, im sure they aren't separate. Anyway normally I wouldn't question the cost but for my b-in-law comparing his bill. If I did transfer to someone like netplus, the service may not be as good nor the swap-over seam-less! Just to add that I also tried to renegotiate on the online message facility to no avail!
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Apr 18, 11:08 AM
    • 11,405 Posts
    • 5,026 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:08 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:08 AM
    Reasonable 30 to 100 pm depending upon service .

UK 05/09 means 5th September .

If you are in contract no need for your ISP to negotiate with you as you have no bargaining power .

Landline and BB may not be in sync if you pay advanced line rental .
    Once your ALR ends you pay line rental monthly .
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 11th Apr 18, 11:34 AM
    • 22,660 Posts
    • 12,198 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:34 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:34 AM
    I also tried to renegotiate on the online message facility to no avail!
    Originally posted by Collyflower1
    You need to realise that there is zero point in trying to "negotiate" a lower price than you are paying while you are still in the minimum term. It's only when you are out-of-contract (and so can leave without penalty) that you may be offered a retention deal.

What your brother-in-law pays is likely to be due to his circumstances being totally different to yours.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 11th Apr 18, 12:18 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 1,011 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:18 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:18 PM
    25 to 30 is reasonable
    • Collyflower1
    • By Collyflower1 11th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Collyflower1
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    Thanks for the replies! I may pay 18.99 line rental until September and then renegotiate!
    • newtonflotman
    • By newtonflotman 11th Apr 18, 11:00 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    newtonflotman
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:00 PM
    Broadband
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:00 PM
    For around 19 per month you can get line rental and upto 17mb broadband from many suppliers. From around 26 you should be able to get fibre and line rental. Call packages are usually 5-7 per month extra. I'm with Origin Broadband and rate them highly but some have had issues with them.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 12th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    • 869 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    Yes, I've been with Origin for just over 18 months now.

I've just renewed for a further 18 months, paying 414 up front for line and fibre BB. Works out at 23 per month. Anytime calls are 5.99 per month extra.

The service has been very reliable and I've no complaints at all about them.
    • Fennite
    • By Fennite 12th Apr 18, 11:46 AM
    • 37 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Fennite
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:46 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 11:46 AM
    I've just signed up to Now Fibre Optic. 9.99 joining fee, 20 per month for up to 38mb speed, and line rental included. With cashback, it works out at 15 per month.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 12th Apr 18, 12:00 PM
    • 8,962 Posts
    • 10,402 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:00 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 12:00 PM
    Currently paying equivalent of 16.50 ADSL not including calls.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Collyflower1
    • By Collyflower1 12th Apr 18, 12:44 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Collyflower1
    Sounds like some great deals here. I suppose you'll only find out about the service over a period of a year say? Having rang BT this morning my broadband does run up to 5th September but was told I can get a new deal 90 days prior to that in june. Presumably he means for the new contract to run from then or maybe look to another provider?
    • boatman
    • By boatman 12th Apr 18, 1:10 PM
    • 4,105 Posts
    • 2,903 Thanks
    boatman
    For around 19 per month you can get line rental and upto 17mb broadband from many suppliers.

From around 26 you should be able to get fibre and line rental.

Call packages are usually 5-7 per month extra.
    Originally posted by newtonflotman
    I agree, I was going to say about 20(17mb adsl) and 25(40mb fibre).

NowTV are doing 15 adsl, 20 fibre at the moment, this includes line rental.
    Last edited by boatman; 12-04-2018 at 1:16 PM. Reason: ii
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 12th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    • 22,660 Posts
    • 12,198 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    was told I can get a new deal 90 days prior to that in june. Presumably he means for the new contract to run from then or maybe look to another provider?
    You won't be able to move to a new provider three months early.

You were being told that you may be able to negotiate a new (cheaper) deal with your current provider.

The trade off for agreeing to any such deal will, of course, mean you entering a new minimum term...
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 12th Apr 18, 1:53 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    Mister G
    I agree, I was going to say about 20(17mb adsl) and 25(40mb fibre).

NowTV are doing 15 adsl, 20 fibre at the moment, this includes line rental.
    Originally posted by boatman
    The NowTV offer is good, if they cover your area. Unfortunately for me, they don't.

"Looks like we can!!!8217;t supply NOW TV Broadband at your address."
    • boatman
    • By boatman 12th Apr 18, 2:07 PM
    • 4,105 Posts
    • 2,903 Thanks
    boatman
    The NowTV offer is good, if they cover your area. Unfortunately for me, they don't.

Originally posted by Mister G
    I suggested NowTV deal to family, but like you then found out they don't cover all areas, I suspect its the 'low cost areas' they skip..
    • boliston
    • By boliston 12th Apr 18, 2:08 PM
    • 2,816 Posts
    • 2,391 Thanks
    boliston
    there are quite a few adsl providers who dont force you to use their own line rental so if the adsl lock-in ends before the line rental lock-in then you can switch adsl
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 12th Apr 18, 3:22 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    Mister G
    I suggested NowTV deal to family, but like you then found out they don't cover all areas, I suspect its the 'low cost areas' they skip..
    I suspect that they do not cover where Sky does not have LLU.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe

I suspect that they do not cover where Sky does not have LLU.
    Last months NowTV offer through the MSE site told me it wasn't available. this months is.

They seem to limit it by numbers and/or postal code and if the https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/ comparision site says it's available but clicking on it leads to NowTV saying it's not, then the next one may well be.

I'm on Sky so I don't think it's related.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 13th Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    • 3,222 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    So, yearly it will come to about 466 (c.39 per month).
    https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/ will tell you everything you need to know.

I'd say that the 15 for ADSL or 20 for fibre (with faster speeds costing more) is reasonable which is lucky considering the offers out there

As said you'll have to see out the last 3 months of your current contract anyway.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 13th Apr 18, 1:54 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 513 Thanks
    Mister G
    Last months NowTV offer through the MSE site told me it wasn't available. this months is.

They seem to limit it by numbers and/or postal code and if the https://broadband.moneysavingexpert.com/ comparision site says it's available but clicking on it leads to NowTV saying it's not, then the next one may well be.

I'm on Sky so I don't think it's related.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Maybe, but Sky won't give me ADSL broadband either.
    • zuliano
    • By zuliano 18th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    zuliano
    I've just signed up to Now Fibre Optic. 9.99 joining fee, 20 per month for up to 38mb speed, and line rental included. With cashback, it works out at 15 per month.
    Originally posted by Fennite

Have you got it yet?

If so are you satisfied?

How long is contract for?

Does it include unlimited calls on landline?

Is it free installation? (I am with VM and when I asked plusnet about their deal they said because I didn't have a BT line installation would cost me 50:00)

Do they give you a box?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

785Posts Today

6,390Users online

Martin's Twitter