Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AG47
    • By AG47 11th Apr 18, 9:25 AM
    • 851Posts
    • 168Thanks
    AG47
    Nissan Leaf home trial
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:25 AM
    Nissan Leaf home trial 11th Apr 18 at 9:25 AM
    We are very interested in a new Nissan Leaf.

We would like to try the home trail for a few days, has anybody done this recently?
    Nothing has been fixed since 2008, it was just pushed into the future
Page 1
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 11th Apr 18, 10:00 AM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 1,218 Thanks
    NigeWick
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:00 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:00 AM
    We are very interested in a new Nissan Leaf.

We would like to try the home trail for a few days, has anybody done this recently?
    Originally posted by AG47
    I got four days out of a dealer last year. It will depend on how many others have asked for a trial.

I got a Leaf 2.ZERO last month. Well put together, really quiet & comfortable, and, driving like an old maid I can get 150 miles out of it on a long trip. That's at about 55-60 mph even on motorways.

If you do buy, look at any regular long trips you'll likely take and see which chargers are en route (check on Zapmap). I was with Ecotricity when I had a 30kWh Leaf as they were most convenient and the company has a half price for customers deal on their motorway chargers. I have moved to Ovo as they have a deal offering two years free subscription to the Polar network as they are now the best option because the 40kWh Leaf offers that greater range. Obviously, if you're just driving locally all the time stick with what is cheapest for you in your circumstances.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • marlot
    • By marlot 11th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    • 3,583 Posts
    • 2,704 Thanks
    marlot
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    My local dealer offered me a couple of days trial. When he heard that I have a 45 mile cross-country commute to work and I wanted to see if it could reliably get me there and back, the trial never happened.

Maybe it would have been fine, maybe not. I'll probably never know.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 12th Apr 18, 8:38 AM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 1,218 Thanks
    NigeWick
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:38 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:38 AM
    My local dealer offered me a couple of days trial. When he heard that I have a 45 mile cross-country commute to work and I wanted to see if it could reliably get me there and back, the trial never happened.
    Originally posted by marlot
    The dealer I went to knew that I was driving 135 miles each way. Even supplied an RFID card to charge with. That was a 30kWh Leaf and in winter it would do a good 90 miles taking it steady with over 110 miles in summer.

I am a bit disappointed with my new 40kWh Leaf as on the motorway, driving like a granny at 55-60 mph, I'm only getting 160 miles on a full charge and I reckon it should be at least 170 - 180. I'm going to whinge at Nissan and see what they say.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 12th Apr 18, 8:41 AM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 2,393 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:41 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:41 AM
    Can anyone give me an idea of the range with headlights, wipers and heater on please.
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 12th Apr 18, 3:24 PM
    • 7,475 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    almillar
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:24 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 3:24 PM
    Can anyone give me an idea of the range with headlights, wipers and heater on please.

Depends on loads of things, but worrying about this is a non-starter, because it's so small. Headlights certainly use barely anything in the context of an EV, and neither do wipers. That leaves the heating/aircon. I've seen it hit 2kW. It goes through stages of having to heat, then maintain the heat. For context, a 30kWh has enough electric stored to run a house for 2 days, and if you applied 2kW to the motor, the car wouldn't even move.
    Lesson - movement is very expensive. You'll save FAR more if you need to by driving economically, than you ever will being efficient with any accessories, never mind safety issues.
    • michaels
    • By michaels 12th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 21,139 Posts
    • 97,780 Thanks
    michaels
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    You should get 100 in most circumstances except going at 80 on the motorway (88 on the speedo)
    Cool heads and compromise
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 12th Apr 18, 9:14 PM
    • 10,186 Posts
    • 11,468 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:14 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:14 PM
    Headlights etc are irrelevant. Even heating. For example in my Kia Soul the range with heating on might show 85, switch heating off it will go to 89 eg about 5%.

Far more significant is winter temperatures. I'm expecting a 25% difference between summer and winter, maybe more. Eg winter 95 and summer coudl be 125. It's already showing 10% more since the cold temps of few weeks back.

So what you need is a car whose winter range suits your driving needs. Take the WLTP and knock 25% off (because WLTP for some crazy reason is done at quite a high temp, 15-20 deg C I forget. )
    • es5595
    • By es5595 12th Apr 18, 9:28 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    es5595
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:28 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:28 PM
    I've just returned a Nissan Leaf today at the end of a four day test, and I've got to be honest, its utterly sold it to me.

When I collected it Monday it had a full battery and said 150 miles to empty, but after doing some motorway driving (340 mile round trip) when I next fully charged it it said 168 miles to empty. The propilot on motorways/dual carriageway is amazing and takes a lot of the stress out of driving, and coupled with the Eco feature (just reduces the acceleration a little) it boosted the mlles.

So how did I get a four day test drive? I had a regular test drive, I was interested but said there was no way I could commit until I'd had it longer and seen what charging it was like, mileage, longer distances etc. They needed driving licence, utility bill, DVLA licence code but that was it.

If you're interested in the leaf, I'd have a serious look at trying on for a few days as it will either make or break.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 14th Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    • 2,909 Posts
    • 1,218 Thanks
    NigeWick
    Originally posted by Alter ego
    Which vehicle? I have driven the 30kWh and now own a 40kWh Leaf.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • facade
    • By facade 14th Apr 18, 12:23 PM
    • 3,347 Posts
    • 1,765 Thanks
    facade
    That was a 30kWh Leaf and in winter it would do a good 90 miles taking it steady with over 110 miles in summer.

I am a bit disappointed with my new 40kWh Leaf as on the motorway, driving like a granny at 55-60 mph, I'm only getting 160 miles on a full charge and I reckon it should be at least 170 - 180. I'm going to whinge at Nissan and see what they say.
    Originally posted by NigeWick

Is it a more efficient shape than the old one?
    I'd have thought that if the old 30kWh did 110 miles, the 40kWh should do 33% more- about 146 miles, so the 160 seems fine.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,681Posts Today

8,643Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin