Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • monicagoodlett
    • By monicagoodlett 11th Apr 18, 9:00 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    monicagoodlett
    Spouses owed
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:00 AM
    Spouses owed 11th Apr 18 at 9:00 AM
    My husband recently received a letter from Lowell's finance. This is not a new thing, he got the debt before he owed him when he was 18 years old with Vanquis, but he has already paid the debt. We did not hear anything for months, not even a confirmation of the payment he requested. And now they are asking the same amount of money ... again. Can they do this? Where do we stand? I just think they are trying their luck to see if they can make us give them more money when their money goes out of debt. I just do not know what to do about it.
Page 1
    • GSPGirl
    • By GSPGirl 11th Apr 18, 9:18 AM
    • 85 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    GSPGirl
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:18 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:18 AM
    Hello, I would go on the National Debtline website and look at their template letters. If this letter is over 6 years old and has not been acknowledged, whether or not it is paid is irrelevant, they cant collect on the debt unless there is a CCJ. There are plenty of free letters you can download in Word document format to edit. I would be asking for proof they own the debt (credit agreement) but it will be statute barred.

They will be trying their luck probably as they buy debts for next to nothing in the hope that people will pay up without contesting it, even if its not a valid debt.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 11th Apr 18, 10:19 AM
    • 15,723 Posts
    • 14,783 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:19 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:19 AM
    Chances are when he originally paid the account, the payment either did not go through or it was incorrectly allocated.

You need to contact the original creditor and find out what has happened to that payment.

Lowell will of bought the debt in good faith and will be unaware of any dispute, so write and briefly explain the situation to them.

Exactly how long ago was it paid off ?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,976Posts Today

7,255Users online

Martin's Twitter