Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Blackbird_101
    • By Blackbird_101 11th Apr 18, 8:03 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Blackbird_101
    Employer agreed to extend my notice, now I need out!
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:03 AM
    Employer agreed to extend my notice, now I need out! 11th Apr 18 at 8:03 AM
    I accepted a job offer with a new employer and subsequently handed in my notice with my current employer.
    When the new job fell through, I asked to extend my notice, so could have more time to find a new role, and my employer accepted.
    I wasn't asked to sign anything to agree to my new leave date but I have continued to work beyond the date that my original notice period ended.
    Can I just leave my job and start and at my new employer? Or will that land me in some sort of trouble?

Help, PLEASE!
    Last edited by Blackbird_101; 11-04-2018 at 6:52 PM.
Page 2
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 11th Apr 18, 5:46 PM
    • 6,757 Posts
    • 5,288 Thanks
    ohreally
    I think someones a bit of a knob jockey.
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 11th Apr 18, 7:08 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    John-K
    I didn't agree to it, verbally or in writing. I was simply presented with a letter which states "it has been explained" and "you have agreed to" - nothing had been explained, and my agreement can only be inferred by my continuing to work beyond my initial 4 week notice.

I am seeking advice, not criticism based on assumptions.
    Originally posted by MODonnell2018
    You asked for it, it was granted, and now you want to back out of the deal, as you expect other people to honour agreements, but not to be bound by them yourself.

I know that shame is viewed as something for other people nowadays, but you should be ashamed at acting like this.

If you want to renegotiate again, do it in good faith, and accept with good grace if your employer does not feel able to accommodate a second change to help you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

314Posts Today

4,547Users online

Martin's Twitter