Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mn2203
    • By mn2203 11th Apr 18, 7:57 AM
    • 41Posts
    • 3Thanks
    mn2203
    Considering renting my 1 bed flat to local council
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:57 AM
    Considering renting my 1 bed flat to local council 11th Apr 18 at 7:57 AM
    Hi

I am about to rent out my 1 bed flat and considering renting this out to the council rather than a private tenant. I don't want to use an agency as they charge ridiculous fees, I have a friend who could help me through being a landlord - has shared tenancy agreement examples etc, but would like someone to move in sooner rather than later and am busy with work/ moving myself so haven't the time to advertise and interview tenants etc.

The council would like to move in a single mum, early 20s with a young child - there is a park and school nearby, close to town so I think this young lady would be happy and so feel this could be a long term thing - i.e. not someone new moving in every few months (I'm aware this could still happen).

Has anyone else done this? And advice welcome.

Thanks
Page 2
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 11th Apr 18, 3:44 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,885 Thanks
    AlexMac
    I've let a 2-bed ex-LA flat on a long-term basis to a Housing Association for several years now, and it's been very satisfactory. A little under market rent, but money-saving as the Social Landlord covers management, repairs, gas safety checks, setting up ASTs, etc. So there are no lettings fees nor gaps in rent void periods, and I have virtually no involvement (apart from one glitch when the HA defaulted on repairs and the tenant went to the Environmental Health Officer who came after me and the HA! But soon sorted).

Quite a demanding initial specification (gas and electrical safety, new boiler, hard wired smoke and heat detectors, extractor fan, carpeting, and bizarrely, net curtains!...) but thereafter all maintenance is the Association's problem. And although no lender is involved, I did have to get the Council as freeholder to approve the deal, even though the HA is sub-letting it to people on their homeless register!

Just make sure you're clear about who is responsible for what. My contract with the HA means they covers all repairs and replacements but not betterment or wear and tear. So I assume when I eventually take it back that the decor, kitchen, bathroom and flooring will be trashed and that a 10-20k refurb will be required before I re-let myself or sell on.
    Last edited by AlexMac; 11-04-2018 at 3:47 PM.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 11th Apr 18, 3:59 PM
    • 5,616 Posts
    • 7,898 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Yes I suspect you need to have a good look over whatever agreement you will be making with the council. Its uncertain from what you say whether your agreement will be actually with the council or the tenant.

While I know the tenant may not be from the negative situations quoted on here, if this is her first time of independent living, you might have to work with her on finances to make sure she makes the top up you are expecting. It is very hard to manage on basic benefits. Again, if first time independence, her ability to maintain a property will probably be low. I remember what I was like when young, very different to how I am now. It takes time to figure all that stuff out. I would agree it would be useful to get references and interview her, set out some ground rules and an understanding with her. What if she gets her benefits withheld?

Wish you all the luck in the world, but you do need to be guarded.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Apr 18, 9:02 PM
    • 45,321 Posts
    • 54,325 Thanks
    G_M
    Apologies OP. I saw the link and jumped to conclusion it was yours.

My mistake.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,374Posts Today

6,554Users online

Martin's Twitter