Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • stephenjames16
    • By stephenjames16 10th Apr 18, 11:01 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    When can I switch?
    • #1
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:01 PM
    When can I switch? 10th Apr 18 at 11:01 PM
    Iíve just moved into a rental property and have found out that the previous tenant was with British Gas for energy. Iíve called BG and they said that the old tenant has not informed them that he has moved out. They will have to cancel his account (7-10 days) and they will send me a letter with details of how to set up my account. Do I have to set up an account with BG before I can switch?

    Also, I presume they will want paying for the energy I have used since I moved in. How do they know how much I have used though?
Page 1
    • spiro
    • By spiro 11th Apr 18, 6:30 AM
    • 5,907 Posts
    • 2,836 Thanks
    • #2
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:30 AM
    • #2
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:30 AM
    When you move into a property what you need to do is:
    1) Find out who the current supplier - you've done that.
    2) Contact them immediately and provide meter readings - did you provide readings?
    3) Decide which supplier you want to be with and either change supplier or get the incumbent supplier to put you on the tariff of your choice. - You can do this immediately after you have done (2).
    Them taking 7-10 days to close the old customers account is not your problem and should not stop you switching.
    IT Consultant in the utilities industry specialising in the retail electricity market.

    4 Credit Card and 1 Loan PPI claims settled for £26k, 1 rejected (Opus).
    • stephenjames16
    • By stephenjames16 11th Apr 18, 7:12 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #3
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:12 AM
    • #3
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:12 AM
    2) they couldn't take meter readings because they need to close the previous account first.

    This means I'm not a customer yet so I've not got an account to switch.

    Do I have to open an account before I can switch, or can I go with any supplier?
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 11th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    • 3,006 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    • #4
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    • #4
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:47 AM
    The rule is that you must sign up with the existing supplier as soon as you move into the property and give them the meter readings - They will automatically put you onto the expensive 'Standard Variable Tariff''

    They will send you a 'Welcome Letter', and once you have this you are free to change to any other supplier you wish
    • PaschalFun
    • By PaschalFun 11th Apr 18, 8:15 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    • #5
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:15 AM
    • #5
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:15 AM
    Pass all the details to and ask for your case to be included in the ongoing Ofgem investigation into British Gas.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

435Posts Today

5,030Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

  • Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today?

  • RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

  • Follow Martin