Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jesper1984
    • By Jesper1984 10th Apr 18, 10:33 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jesper1984
    ESA Couples / Joint claim & Self Emplyoment?
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:33 PM
    ESA Couples / Joint claim & Self Emplyoment? 10th Apr 18 at 10:33 PM
    Hi everyone.

Let me firstly describe me . our situation.

According to the latest letter from the ESA me and my partner have a "THIS IS A COUPLE CLAIM MR <REDACTED> IS NAMED ON THE CLAM AND ENTITLED TO INCOME RELATED BENEFIT" claim.
    My first question would be, is this their wording of a Joint Claim, or is a Couple Claim different?

My Partner is the main claimant, I am the other half.
    This is an Income Based ESA Claim.
    She also receives PiP, and I am in receipt of carers allowance.

I have recently been given the opportunity to earn money from home being self employed.
    The money will fluctuate heavily from less then 5 pounds per week all the way to a proper minimum wage. This also means that I would work from anywhere between 0 and 80 hours per week, but seeing as it would be self employed I guess hours wont matter?

My main concern is that my partner (the main claimant) is taken care of properly, especially in regards to medications, dental etc etc.

Before I accept the offer of self employment, I want to make sure I am well informed and that everything is taken care off properly.

1. Will the claim be altered to a single person claim?
    2. Will we / she lose ESA / will the claim be closed?
    3. If I happen to make 0 pounds any given week / month, will ESA top it up to ESA level?
    4. If yes, how hard will this be to handle?
    5. What to do if self employment is not working out?
    5. Is there anything else I need to take in to consideration, things to watch out for?

I am looking for advice, help and guidance in the maze that is ESA, and the words that for an uneducated fool make no sense at all
Page 1
    • huckster
    • By huckster 10th Apr 18, 11:26 PM
    • 3,321 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    huckster
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:26 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:26 PM
    Joint and couple claim are the same.

Many self employed from home opportunities are not real or never lead to earnings advertised.

I suggest you revisit the ESA claim terms you signed up to in regard to what you need to report. Yes, you would need to report earnings and these would affect your claim.

No harm in giving it a trial and report any earnings as soon as they are paid. Failure to report any earnings would break the terms of your claim and have consequences.

If this was a standard employment with an expected wage you would report this change in advance. But with a self employed opportunity work from home, you are not guaranteed any income as such and can only report income if you actually receive any.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
    • Jesper1984
    • By Jesper1984 10th Apr 18, 11:35 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jesper1984
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:35 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:35 PM
    Joint and couple claim are the same.

Many self employed from home opportunities are not real or never lead to earnings advertised.
    No harm in giving it a trial and report any earnings as soon as they are paid. Failure to report any earnings would break the terms of your claim and have consequences.
    But with a self employed opportunity work from home, you are not guaranteed any income as such and can only report income if you actually receive any.
    Originally posted by huckster
    Maybe some additional information would be required here. This is not an "Avon" or anything like that. This would be something along the lines of YouTube / Twitch etc.

My main concerns are knowing if
    3. If I happen to make 0 pounds any given week / month, will ESA top it up to ESA level?
    5. Is there anything else I need to take in to consideration, things to watch out for?
    -

For me actually becoming self employed, doing taxes and dealing with the benefits is a huge and stressful undertaking, and I really just want to be prepared for various scenarios before I give it a "trial" as I am afraid that just trying it might have some ether long term consequences or hurdles I am not expecting or am able to comfortably deal with,

Don't get me wrong, I am trying to pull as much information from any and all sources I can get, but there don't seem to be many cases like this around, and the official websites are littered with expensive words and phrases that to me look like gibberish and give me a migraine :P
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Apr 18, 11:45 PM
    • 3,429 Posts
    • 3,313 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:45 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:45 PM
    Maybe some additional information would be required here. This is not an "Avon" or anything like that. This would be something along the lines of YouTube / Twitch etc.

My main concerns are knowing if
    -

For me actually becoming self employed, doing taxes and dealing with the benefits is a huge and stressful undertaking, and I really just want to be prepared for various scenarios before I give it a "trial" as I am afraid that just trying it might have some ether long term consequences or hurdles I am not expecting or am able to comfortably deal with,

Don't get me wrong, I am trying to pull as much information from any and all sources I can get, but there don't seem to be many cases like this around, and the official websites are littered with expensive words and phrases that to me look like gibberish and give me a migraine :P
    Originally posted by Jesper1984
    As it's your partners ESA claim with you added (couple) and it's Income Related then anything you earn over 20 per week will affect the ESA 1 for 1. This means if you earn 80 per week then you will lose 60 from the ESA.

As you claim Carers Allowance if you earn over 120 per week, 116 after tax then you will not be entitled to Carers Allowance either.

As soon as you start working then your partner will need to report those changes ASAP.

I'm not sure what will happen if it doesn't work out but others will be along to advise you i'm sure.

PIP won't be affected.
    • huckster
    • By huckster 10th Apr 18, 11:59 PM
    • 3,321 Posts
    • 1,447 Thanks
    huckster
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:59 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:59 PM
    Jesper

I think you just need to give it a try and report any income to ESA. Poppy has given you info on earnings affect on ESA. You can use a benefits calculator (Entitled to, Turn2us) to run through different scenarios.

You might be best to get it from the horses mouth, by phoning the ESA helpline and discussing the subject. I suspect they talk to claimants every day about this issue, as carers try to earn some money, while still being able to care for someone.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,871Posts Today

8,484Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks so much to all who watched @itvMLshow LIVE last night. The ratings are in at 2.4m and 12% share, lower tha? https://t.co/Jj62j1fV5F

• RT @stomp_3k: Oh @MartinSLewis would be proud proud of me went sim free on my mobile contract renewal and bought my handset outright saving?

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Wales Govt steps up to help ?severely mentally impaired? access crucial council tax discount after MSE campaign - BUT M?

• Follow Martin