Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dispey
    • By Dispey 10th Apr 18, 10:12 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Dispey
    Window company make good
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:12 PM
    Window company make good 10th Apr 18 at 10:12 PM
    I have had new windows put in. Before this, i had to have asbestos removed from the artex ceiling, this was done by an outside contractor the company uses. They were supposed to remove just a few inches to make safe for the workmen to install the windows. Unfortunately they were not able to do this, so had to remove the ceiling from the bay window which measures approx 2.5m x1m. Should the window company make good, in replacing the ceiling or will i have to pay out for that. I had to pay extra for the removal of the artex. Any help or advice will be gratefully received
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 10th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 1,883 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    I wouldn!!!8217;t expect the window company to reinstate your bay window ceiling and I doubt they will unless you!!!8217;ve got something in writing that would indicate otherwise (I doubt it).
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 11th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    I also can't see them making good. On the flip side, it should be a relatively cheap job to board and skim the area.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 11th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    • 4,450 Posts
    • 2,881 Thanks
    Furts
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    Depends on T&C that were agreed. But the glaringly obvious answer here is the ceiling was OK before the windows were to be done so should be OK now. Following this through OP should have agreed a job price for the entire works. Perhaps this was done - over to OP here.

Regardless I would not be accepting a missing ceiling, but knowing the way the replacement window folks operate this comes as no surprise that it may have been "overlooked". All the more so if it was one of the infamous national brand names like Everest, Anglian, Safestyle, Zenith and such like.
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 11th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 1,424 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    Depends on T&C that were agreed. But the glaringly obvious answer here is the ceiling was OK before the windows were to be done so should be OK now. Following this through OP should have agreed a job price for the entire works. Perhaps this was done - over to OP here.
    Originally posted by Furts
    I was under the impression that the OP hired people to remove the Artex before the fitters came in, in which case they did their job, and the window fitters did theirs.

If I've misunderstood, then yes I agree with Furts.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 11th Apr 18, 6:24 PM
    • 4,450 Posts
    • 2,881 Thanks
    Furts
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:24 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:24 PM
    I was under the impression that the OP hired people to remove the Artex before the fitters came in, in which case they did their job, and the window fitters did theirs.

If I've misunderstood, then yes I agree with Furts.
    Originally posted by Grenage
    I am with you here, but remain puzzled on why the job was split up like it was. The easiest way from stage one was to say to the window company " that is what exists, sort it" which would have included the absurd notion of a two inch ceiling strip. But OP having engaged a separate contractor to remove this ceiling gives the second scenario " OK window company, install the windows and your contract includes putting a ceiling board to abutt your new windows". Both are quite straightforward scenarios, but only OP knows exactly what was, or was not, agreed.

That OP has ended up with an incomplete job after engaging two different contractors is crazy.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 11th Apr 18, 9:10 PM
    • 4,244 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:10 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:10 PM
    Apologies; on a re read, I disagree with myself...

Deleted my comments.
    Last edited by DaftyDuck; 11-04-2018 at 9:16 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,859Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin