Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • domdondom
    • By domdondom 10th Apr 18, 9:58 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 7Thanks
    domdondom
    Do people envy people of similar age who look younger?
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:58 PM
    Do people envy people of similar age who look younger? 10th Apr 18 at 9:58 PM
    Why is it people react with astonishment when someone looks younger than their age?

I am 37 but everyone thinks I look in my twenties. It does actually annoy me when they do it. Yesterday was my birthday, and at work my team leader bought a happy 37th cake.

I have no shame in telling my age, although I feel awkward when someone shows disbelief. Why would I lie to make myself older? It doesn't make sense.

It does appear to me, it is socially unacceptable to look old these days. Are we obsessed with looking younger?
Page 3
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 11th Apr 18, 7:46 PM
    • 3,472 Posts
    • 9,571 Thanks
    LilElvis
    I've found that though I've just turned 51 most people assume I'm younger because I have a 7 year old. A face lift would have been cheaper though
    • Soundgirlrocks
    • By Soundgirlrocks 12th Apr 18, 11:35 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 685 Thanks
    Soundgirlrocks
    I look younger than I am and don't wear makeup at work, I don't know if anyone "envy's" me but it is very irritating when people who don't know me assume I'm not that experienced. Usually I mention something from years back and I get this look of puzzlement followed by a "but you can't be old enough to have done that"
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 12th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    • 7,583 Posts
    • 21,656 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I'm a recently turned 50 & am happily bemused by some of the others of that or older years.
    I heard "by the time you're 50 you have the body you deserve" - and I can more or less go along with that. Too many sticky bins & not enough exercise & it is all a lot harder to shift after 50 (so I put the effort in at 49, er & then put half of it back on in the following months but the gym habit I'll maintain.)

I can vouch that the most effective dermal filler is mashed potato. As a bonus, I found it was an anti-depressant too, but did make clothes shopping more troublesome.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 12th Apr 18, 6:10 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 1,168 Thanks
    z1a
    I'm a recently turned 50 & am happily bemused by some of the others of that or older years.
    I heard "by the time you're 50 you have the body you deserve" - and I can more or less go along with that. Too many sticky bins & not enough exercise & it is all a lot harder to shift after 50 (so I put the effort in at 49, er & then put half of it back on in the following months but the gym habit I'll maintain.)

I can vouch that the most effective dermal filler is mashed potato. As a bonus, I found it was an anti-depressant too, but did make clothes shopping more troublesome.
    Originally posted by DigForVictory
    At least you get a bit of exercise opening your "Sticky bins".
    • domdondom
    • By domdondom 12th Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    domdondom

Originally posted by DigForVictory
    Ha ha ha. Facebook gave me depression.
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 12th Apr 18, 8:33 PM
    • 2,698 Posts
    • 6,585 Thanks
    ska lover
    The thing to remember though , that young looks, or any kind of non surgical good looks, are nature. There is nothing whatsoever you have done to earn or deserve that, its just genetics.

An attractive personality however, is all you..
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • Poppy1984
    • By Poppy1984 12th Apr 18, 9:48 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Poppy1984
    The thing to remember though , that young looks, or any kind of non surgical good looks, are nature. There is nothing whatsoever you have done to earn or deserve that, its just genetics.

An attractive personality however, is all you..
    Originally posted by ska lover
    This!!!! I love this.
    19-02-18 Total Debt 3,800 Next 815 Very 1600 Tesco Credit Card 1600
    PAID Next 815/815 now closed Very 370/ 1600 Tesco 160/ 1600
    April - May Grocery Budget 40/200 EF fund 200/300
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 12th Apr 18, 10:53 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 2,049 Thanks
    pearl123
    Why enjoy attractiveness? It will go in the end. A good brain and intelligence has a higher value.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 13th Apr 18, 9:43 AM
    • 13,751 Posts
    • 18,033 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Why enjoy attractiveness? It will go in the end. A good brain and intelligence has a higher value.
    Originally posted by pearl123
    Surely there is no harm in enjoying it while you can.

Attractiveness, a good brain and intelligence (the same thing?) are not mutually exclusive.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • mikeeboy
    • By mikeeboy 13th Apr 18, 4:28 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    mikeeboy
    Most people are just being polite aren't they. Always guess on the lower side for fear of going too high and causing offence.

I don't see what the issue is. Everyone wants to look younger don't they? It's part of the challenge of getting older.
    • panagia
    • By panagia 13th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    panagia
    There's quite an age gap between me and my sister, but sometimes people ask which one of us is older. My sister puts it down to her having 3 kids and me not having any!
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 13th Apr 18, 6:21 PM
    • 2,565 Posts
    • 6,864 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Originally posted by pearl123
    They go too though quite often!

Both are just good luck and genetics though.
    • jimbo747
    • By jimbo747 13th Apr 18, 11:33 PM
    • 418 Posts
    • 1,125 Thanks
    jimbo747
    I'm about to turn 37 and was asked for ID at Xmas in Morrison's. I just find it amusing now. Annoying when I was 18/19 and didn't carry ID on me, but there are worse things to get riled up about.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 14th Apr 18, 10:30 AM
    • 4,009 Posts
    • 44,459 Thanks
    Barny1979
    I think there are a few people on here who are Diego Costa lookalikes
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 14th Apr 18, 5:23 PM
    • 30,496 Posts
    • 57,471 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    My son is 38 and most people think he is ten years younger. He is happy with that.

Both my husband and myself look younger than the late 60s that we are.

Lifelong smokers, especially women, tend to look older. They get wrinkled. I must have given it up just in time (haven't smoked for 25 years).
    • Claddagh_Noir
    • By Claddagh_Noir 14th Apr 18, 6:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Claddagh_Noir
    I have a colleague who is nearly 30 and looks about 19-20.
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 15th Apr 18, 11:25 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    I'm hopeless at guessing ages. My survival tactic if someone asks how old they look is to take ten years off what I think, so if I think you look 40 I'll say 30 to be on the safe side. Maybe other people do the same?
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 15th Apr 18, 11:27 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 237 Thanks
    humptydumptybits
    My son is 38 and most people think he is ten years younger. He is happy with that.

Both my husband and myself look younger than the late 60s that we are.

Lifelong smokers, especially women, tend to look older. They get wrinkled. I must have given it up just in time (haven't smoked for 25 years).
    Originally posted by seven-day-weekend
    Smoking definitely seems to age people and I think drinking alcohol does as well. Being too thin can make people look older (member of my family is terribly thin and terribly proud of it but it does make her face look quite lined and haggard although I suppose to be fair I don't know how she would look if she put on a couple of stone.)
    • cazs
    • By cazs 19th Apr 18, 9:59 PM
    • 509 Posts
    • 211 Thanks
    cazs
    I'm generally taken to be quite a bit younger than I am. I don't take it to be a good thing though as I know full-well that I'm a good 5-7 years older than I think I am. I'd rather BE younger and look a bit older.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,649Posts Today

8,038Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: Pls help stop people who are suicidal being harassed by creditors. People in hospital due to anxiety, depression & more?

• RT @peterkmartin: Thanks @MartinSLewis after hearing you advise many times to switch energy providers, I finally got my finger out and have?

• I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• Follow Martin