Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • domdondom
    • By domdondom 10th Apr 18, 9:58 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 7Thanks
    domdondom
    Do people envy people of similar age who look younger?
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:58 PM
    Do people envy people of similar age who look younger? 10th Apr 18 at 9:58 PM
    Why is it people react with astonishment when someone looks younger than their age?

I am 37 but everyone thinks I look in my twenties. It does actually annoy me when they do it. Yesterday was my birthday, and at work my team leader bought a happy 37th cake.

I have no shame in telling my age, although I feel awkward when someone shows disbelief. Why would I lie to make myself older? It doesn't make sense.

It does appear to me, it is socially unacceptable to look old these days. Are we obsessed with looking younger?
Page 1
    • z1a
    • By z1a 10th Apr 18, 10:17 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    z1a
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:17 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:17 PM
    No .
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 10th Apr 18, 10:22 PM
    • 15,668 Posts
    • 21,488 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:22 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:22 PM
    Take it as a compliment and stop overthinking things.

Who cares???
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 10th Apr 18, 10:46 PM
    • 19,646 Posts
    • 52,461 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:46 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:46 PM
    Why is it people react with astonishment when someone looks younger than their age?
    Originally posted by domdondom
    I can't answer your question because I don't react in that way.
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 10th Apr 18, 10:49 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 6,414 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:49 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:49 PM
    I can't answer your question because I don't react in that way.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I agree. However humble-bragging provokes a very strong reaction in me.
    Jan 18 grocery challenge 105.13/ 150
    • chesky
    • By chesky 10th Apr 18, 11:29 PM
    • 976 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    chesky
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:29 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:29 PM
    You obviously go round telling people your age, then stand there waiting for them to say you look younger. Which they probably do out of kindness.
    • Loz01
    • By Loz01 10th Apr 18, 11:30 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 3,365 Thanks
    Loz01
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:30 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:30 PM
    I'm 31 and people generally think I'm anything from 19-26. I think 28 is the oldest Ive ever been guessed. Whether people are being polite or not, I have no idea!!

But I do hate it when I say "oh Im 31" and people GASP and say WHAT?? No WAY! You look so young! REALLY?! as if I add years to my age for kicks I just think oh well, when Im 40 I'll be a fountain of youth. I think its partly genetics tho, my Mum is in her mid 60's and people think she's 50 odd. She even got asked for ID to get into a place for an over 60
    The fact is that more people have been slaughtered in the name of religion than for any other single reason. That, my friends, is a true perversion - Harvey Milk
    • domdondom
    • By domdondom 11th Apr 18, 12:48 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    domdondom
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:48 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:48 AM
    I'm 31 and people generally think I'm anything from 19-26. I think 28 is the oldest Ive ever been guessed. Whether people are being polite or not, I have no idea!!

But I do hate it when I say "oh Im 31" and people GASP and say WHAT?? No WAY! You look so young! REALLY?! as if I add years to my age for kicks I just think oh well, when Im 40 I'll be a fountain of youth. I think its partly genetics tho, my Mum is in her mid 60's and people think she's 50 odd. She even got asked for ID to get into a place for an over 60
    Originally posted by Loz01
    That is the same disbelief I am talking about. It does make me wonder whether or not this is just a thirties thing? People see the final years of their thirties as the big 40 approaching and with 40 being seen as an important milestone. Perhaps 40 is considered old these days?
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 11th Apr 18, 8:56 AM
    • 2,545 Posts
    • 6,838 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:56 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:56 AM
    I agree. However humble-bragging provokes a very strong reaction in me.
    Originally posted by BrassicWoman
    This isn't a humblebrag, its just a plain old fashioned brag!
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 11th Apr 18, 9:00 AM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 7,055 Thanks
    Ilona
    When I was 58 I pulled a hunky guy of 30. I was well chuffed.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Apr 18, 9:15 AM
    • 15,316 Posts
    • 42,703 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    If people say someone looks young for their age - then these days I wonder who they are comparing with personally.

I often used to get told I looked young for my age when I was younger. Cue for getting to my 60's and I reckon I look my age these days (no younger/no older).

I think how old people look compared to their age depends on two things:
    - stuff under their control (eg smoking and sunbathing - both of which are "agers")
    - stuff that may or may not be under their control (ie how life treats them).

Thinking of people that I'm aware of that look older than their age:

- one is self-inflicted (working outdoors in all weathers and smoking wacky backy). Looks about 20 years older than age.

- one is mental health problems of some description (never have figured out quite what it is - but it has included bouts of anorexia). Looks about 20 years older than age.

- A "hard" person and poor money manager and I'm told they are or were an alcoholic. Looks about 10 years older than age - but it might be worse than that if it werent for the dyed blonde hair.

Basically - come some point around 50 or so - I've come to the conclusion everyone will look their age - apart from those who've done smoking/drug-taking/had a hard life due to no fault of their own/done similar to 3rd person above (ie being "hard" and being stupid with money).

Hence - one gets to 50 or so and looks one's age (no more/no less) if having not done anything self-destructive or had a particularly hard life due to no fault of one's own (eg major illness problems or being a carer to someone else that has major illness).

So - yep...I look exactly my age - because I've had a fairly standard middle-class lifestyle (apart from not being able to buy a house until my 30s) and am not a self-destructive sort of person.

That's how the cookie crumbles imo.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 11-04-2018 at 9:26 AM.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 11th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 10,335 Posts
    • 13,375 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Be flattered. I was 26 and got asked if I was old enough to buy cigarettes (had to be 16) once, and mid-20s when asked if I was child or adult for a swimming pool ticket. Haven't lived a particularly healthy life so I strongly believe it's far more down to genetics than people realise.

We share the same birthday btw! I'm 48 and look younger. Love it. We should have a photo thread where everyone guesses ages LOL (although some of us have shared at some stage or another).
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin!
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 11th Apr 18, 10:05 AM
    • 2,698 Posts
    • 6,585 Thanks
    ska lover
    I don't get what there is to be annoyed about OP. Bit dramatic IMO
    Last edited by ska lover; 11-04-2018 at 10:14 AM.
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 11th Apr 18, 10:30 AM
    • 2,528 Posts
    • 3,483 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    It was a nuisance when I was 20 and my sister was 16 - and she could get served in pubs but I couldn't.

Haven't thought about it since !
    • Indout96
    • By Indout96 11th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    • 1,749 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    Indout96
    Nope - I look really young for my age whilst everyone I went to school with looks ancient.
    However someone seems to have replaced the mirrors in our house with pictures of my dad - really annoying :-(
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
    • Barny1979
    • By Barny1979 11th Apr 18, 10:39 AM
    • 4,009 Posts
    • 44,459 Thanks
    Barny1979
    I'm 38 and get asked for ID, colleagues thought I was early 20s to early 30s. I tke it as a good thing.
    • comeandgo
    • By comeandgo 11th Apr 18, 10:47 AM
    • 1,995 Posts
    • 2,701 Thanks
    comeandgo
    I know I look younger than my age, it's a genetic thing, nothing to do with me, my cousin looks even younger than me and she is a year older. My friends and family know my age and it's not something I broadcast so don't get the Wow factor much.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 11th Apr 18, 11:29 AM
    • 5,029 Posts
    • 8,117 Thanks
    Gavin83
    If people say someone looks young for their age - then these days I wonder who they are comparing with personally.

I often used to get told I looked young for my age when I was younger. Cue for getting to my 60's and I reckon I look my age these days (no younger/no older).

I think how old people look compared to their age depends on two things:
    - stuff under their control (eg smoking and sunbathing - both of which are "agers")
    - stuff that may or may not be under their control (ie how life treats them).

Thinking of people that I'm aware of that look older than their age:

- one is self-inflicted (working outdoors in all weathers and smoking wacky backy). Looks about 20 years older than age.

- one is mental health problems of some description (never have figured out quite what it is - but it has included bouts of anorexia). Looks about 20 years older than age.

- A "hard" person and poor money manager and I'm told they are or were an alcoholic. Looks about 10 years older than age - but it might be worse than that if it werent for the dyed blonde hair.

Basically - come some point around 50 or so - I've come to the conclusion everyone will look their age - apart from those who've done smoking/drug-taking/had a hard life due to no fault of their own/done similar to 3rd person above (ie being "hard" and being stupid with money).

Hence - one gets to 50 or so and looks one's age (no more/no less) if having not done anything self-destructive or had a particularly hard life due to no fault of one's own (eg major illness problems or being a carer to someone else that has major illness).

So - yep...I look exactly my age - because I've had a fairly standard middle-class lifestyle (apart from not being able to buy a house until my 30s) and am not a self-destructive sort of person.

That's how the cookie crumbles imo.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    Let's just say I partied hard in my late teens/early 20's and it didn't affect me. Most people assume I'm younger than I am. A lot of my peers are going bald and/or grey, currently I'm suffering neither.

Ironically when I was young I looked older than I was. I had a full beard by 13/14 and my voice had broken before then. I certainly never struggled to get served in pubs while underage.

I just assume I've got good genetics.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 11th Apr 18, 11:30 AM
    • 10,858 Posts
    • 28,873 Thanks
    suki1964
    Being asked what school I attended and then being given a child's fare on the bus one morning heading into work was pretty amusing, I was 35

I'm 54 now, no idea what age I look cos every time I look in a mirror my mum looks back at me
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 11th Apr 18, 11:47 AM
    • 23,791 Posts
    • 61,907 Thanks
    pollypenny
    When I was a 31 year old mature student many others thought I was straight from 6th form.

When I was in my early 50s, one of my lovely pupils had confidently worked out my age. - 42!
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,991Posts Today

6,213Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin