Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tasmond
    • By Tasmond 10th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Tasmond
    bank have taken loan payment after agreeing not to and now I cannot pay my rent
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    bank have taken loan payment after agreeing not to and now I cannot pay my rent 10th Apr 18 at 9:13 PM
    Hoping somebody will be able to assist.

Due to losing my job I called the bank in the middle of March to agree they would not take my loan repayment for April. This was so that I could at least pay my rent and look to sort out everything else from there.

The bank agreed to this but took the payment anyway. I called to get the transaction reversed and they have refused to do so. They said I can complain but hinted it would not help anything.

I now do not have enough money to pay my rent. Does anyone have any advice on how I can resolve this?
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 10th Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    • 8,244 Posts
    • 10,511 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    If the payment was by direct debit ask your current account provider to reimburse under the terms of the direct debit guarantee.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 10th Apr 18, 9:59 PM
    • 13,748 Posts
    • 13,075 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:59 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:59 PM
    Why would they initially agree to a one month payment holiday, then renage on the agreement ?

Does not make any sense, ignore the call handler, you should follow the banks complaints process as soon as possible, speak to the correct department about this, they simply cannot hint making a complaint will make no difference.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • Tasmond
    • By Tasmond 10th Apr 18, 10:04 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tasmond
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:04 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:04 PM
    Yeah, I had to hang up today because I was so furious. Maybe I should go in, in person tomorrow.

It was a standing order, not a DD and the loan and account are both with HSBC.
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 10th Apr 18, 11:22 PM
    • 841 Posts
    • 726 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:22 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:22 PM
    If it is a standing order, then only you can cancel it. The bank HAS to pay every standing order you have setup otherwise they are in breach of their contract with you. You should have cancelled the standing order, and re-set it up once you were able to pay it.

You should have been advised of this, so you have a reasonable grounds for complaint. You don't need to go into the branch to make the complaint. Just pick up the phone and say you want to make a complaint.

I don't think your complaint will get anywhere though.

Your best route forward is to let your landlord know that the rent can't be paid immediately but you are working on getting back into employment asap. After that, prioritise paying your rent and clearing your rent arrears. The bank will have to wait for their loan to be repaid as it is unsecured.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 10th Apr 18, 11:56 PM
    • 2,689 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:56 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:56 PM
    If you asked them within 2 weeks of the date of the direct debit they couldn't do anything about it as a direct debit cannot be altered without at least 2 weeks advance notice.

However this was a standing order so only you can cancel and you didn't. You cannot get this money back.

If you can't pay the rent then its down to cash converters with some of your gear or go sign up to an employment agency doing factory/warehouse work.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 11th Apr 18, 12:01 AM
    • 516 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    John-K
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:01 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:01 AM
    Yeah, I had to hang up today because I was so furious. Maybe I should go in, in person tomorrow.

Originally posted by Tasmond
    So what actually happened was that you asked if you could skip a month, but then sent them the money anyway. Categorising this as them taking it is not really accurate.

Well, not accurate at all, to be honest.

Do you have anything that you can sell to make up the rent? What are you using to post on here, would that bring in enough?

Edited to add, you look to have a real propensity for leaving or losing jobs. When you next work you need to save an emergency fund, and stop borrowing money. Insufficient savings combined with debts is a toxic combination for someone so often out of work.
    Last edited by John-K; 11-04-2018 at 12:05 AM.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 11th Apr 18, 7:45 AM
    • 1,692 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    Sncjw
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:45 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:45 AM
    What are you going to do for next months rent if your still unemployed because it sounds like you just asked them to not !!!8220;take!!!8221; this months payment. Next month they will expect payment.

Cancel the standing order now and maybe go sign on and claim housing benefit if your landlord accepts it
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 11th Apr 18, 8:09 AM
    • 2,217 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:09 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:09 AM
    It is highly unusual to make loan repayments by standing order as opposed to direct debit and even more unusual when the current account and loan are with the same bank (HSBC). To be honest I have never heard of such a thing..
    With regard to the payment holiday, what did they actually say? Does this loan allow payment holidays? Was it a formal arrangement to pay or what? To be honest, a loan provider simply saying ok you can miss a month is again pretty unusual. Did they confirm in writing?
    As has already been said and should have been obvious to you, it is for you to cancel a standing order on your current account.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 11-04-2018 at 8:44 AM.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 11th Apr 18, 8:27 AM
    • 8,244 Posts
    • 10,511 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters

Originally posted by Tasmond
    Did it cross your mind to utter the words "please cancel the standing order"?

You had control.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,501Posts Today

7,651Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: Our money-saving expert @MartinSLewis explains why he's had enough of the scams trying to trick victims using his name and?

• Today's twitter poll: have you ever seen a ghost?

• RT @JohnnyMercerUK: Another important day ahead in achieving parity of esteem between mental and physical health: the breathing space schem?

• Follow Martin