Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlie71
    • By charlie71 10th Apr 18, 9:10 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 8Thanks
    charlie71
    Best way to arrange car ownership and insurance
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:10 PM
    Best way to arrange car ownership and insurance 10th Apr 18 at 9:10 PM
    Hi all - hope someone can help -

We have two cars. One is owned and insured by me, the other owned and insured by my wife.

We are selling the wifes car and replacing it with a new family car. My car will become the school runaround, and I will commute to work in the new car (which will also be the family car at weekends)

What is the best way to manage ownership/insurance do you think please -

1. Transfer my car to my wife and she can transfer her insurance from the sold car to my old one. I'd then transfer insurance on my old car to the new one (or cancel and get new quote if cheaper)

2. Put the new car in my wifes name, and transfer insurance as above. Not sure this is sensible as I will be the main driver and it's in her name, and the opposite for my current car which she will be driving mainly.

3. A N Other option?

Or does it not really make any difference?

Thanks -
Page 1
    • jaybeetoo
    • By jaybeetoo 10th Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    jaybeetoo
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    You don't have to change the owner on the V5C - doing so could reduce the value of the car. You do have to tell your insurance company who the main driver is on each car so you may need to move your wife's insurance to the other car.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

194Posts Today

1,070Users online

Martin's Twitter