Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mistermeaner
    • By Mistermeaner 10th Apr 18, 8:52 PM
    • 2,435Posts
    • 3,021Thanks
    Mistermeaner
    Mersey flow runcorn ; anyone successfully appealed
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:52 PM
    Mersey flow runcorn ; anyone successfully appealed 10th Apr 18 at 8:52 PM
    Anyone been successful in appealing on a technicality?

Totally forgot to pay .... 2 trips as well

Oops
    Left is never right but I always am.
Page 1
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Apr 18, 12:08 AM
    • 2,706 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:08 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:08 AM
    How do you think you can appeal travelling across it and not paying before midnight of the following day?

Cloned plates would be one but you'd need to report it to the Police and get a crime number to stand a chance and that's a risky route to start going down to avoid paying £20.
    • mattyprice4004
    • By mattyprice4004 11th Apr 18, 12:20 AM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 3,014 Thanks
    mattyprice4004
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:20 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:20 AM
    I got off the charges by pointing out how hard it is to read all of the signs while travelling at speed, and several others have too.

It's a lot of information on quite a small sign.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 11th Apr 18, 1:26 AM
    • 8,374 Posts
    • 8,646 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:26 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:26 AM
    Did the threads on appealing Mersey charges not inform you aany..?
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 11th Apr 18, 5:50 AM
    • 2,516 Posts
    • 3,205 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:50 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:50 AM
    This may be of interest

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/landmark-decision-puts-legality-mersey-14507681
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 11th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    Something wrong with that link, I saw the headline and just a huge white page full of adverts and a survey.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Apr 18, 1:17 PM
    • 2,706 Posts
    • 1,943 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:17 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:17 PM
    The link works and it is quite an interesting read. Looks like the OP might stand a chance.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 11th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 2,516 Posts
    • 3,205 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    Something wrong with that link, I saw the headline and just a huge white page full of adverts and a survey.
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    the link is fine. It's just the Liverpool echo website is a bit problematic and full of adds
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 12th Apr 18, 9:29 AM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 1,408 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:29 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:29 AM
    the link is fine. It's just the Liverpool echo website is a bit problematic and full of adds
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Should be renamed Liverpool Advertiser!
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 12th Apr 18, 9:42 AM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    I got off the charges by pointing out how hard it is to read all of the signs while travelling at speed, and several others have too.

It's a lot of information on quite a small sign.
    Originally posted by mattyprice4004
    I found that an issue too and simply googled Mersey Flow when I got to Manchester Airport where I was heading from Liverpool recently. Not really all that difficult. Certainly less effort than an appeal process.
    • Mistermeaner
    • By Mistermeaner 12th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    • 2,435 Posts
    • 3,021 Thanks
    Mistermeaner
    interesting:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-43698113

I'm going to pay the 'fine' under duress and appeal for a refund of both the fines and the charges
    Left is never right but I always am.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 12th Apr 18, 11:07 AM
    • 6,095 Posts
    • 29,442 Thanks
    bugslet
    Between opening in October last year and the end of Feb, there has been over 242,000 penalty notices issued - that alone should tell you something is awry.

Reading the Runcorn World last night, the advice seems to be not to pay until a decision has been made about the wording on the charging order ( though I probably would and then try for a refund).

As an aside, travelling over it on Monday night ( resident so I get the £10.00 p.a. tag), my friend pointed out that her 80 year old parents would be totally lost as they don't do anything online; even if they noticed the signs, they'd have to get someone else to pay for it. Most likely the signs just wouldn't register.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 12th Apr 18, 11:38 AM
    • 10,078 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    GunJack
    As an aside, travelling over it on Monday night ( resident so I get the £10.00 p.a. tag), my friend pointed out that her 80 year old parents would be totally lost as they don't do anything online; even if they noticed the signs, they'd have to get someone else to pay for it. Most likely the signs just wouldn't register.
    Originally posted by bugslet
    This is a widely-overlooked issue on the part of the people who design such solutions....not everyone has online access, nor wants it. And even if you have, you may not ever do (or ever want to do) any financial transactions online.

The argument of "well, they'll just have to" just doesn't wash unless internet access and doing financial transactions online is mandated in law for all citizens over 16.

It's similar to car parks where the only way to pay is automated with a mobile phone, same arguments as above.

Such services (tolls, parking, etc.) should never have only one option to pay, much as it will annoy the service provider.

On a local note, people I work with and have to use Runcorn don't have a good word to say about it, especially the ones who have no practical choice other than use it but are outside the "resident's" zone and so don't qualify for the tag
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 12th Apr 18, 12:36 PM
    • 1,680 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    chrisw
    Such services (tolls, parking, etc.) should never have only one option to pay, much as it will annoy the service provider.
    Originally posted by GunJack
    To be fair, there are a number of ways to pay. However, I'd agree it's very easy to forget.

You can pay
    • online at www.merseyflow.co.uk (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
    • by phone on 01928 878 878 (available 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and 9am-6pm Saturday,
    Sunday and bank holidays)
    • at merseyflow’s walk-in centre at Howard Court, Manor Park, Runcorn, WA7 1SJ between
    9am-7pm Monday-Friday and 9am-6pm Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays
    • at one of 10,000 Payzone outlets across the UK
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 12th Apr 18, 12:42 PM
    • 10,078 Posts
    • 7,561 Thanks
    GunJack
    ok, not quite so bad, but would you have to go online to find that out??

...or possibly cause an accident on/near the bridge by stopping the car to read the small signs and jot down the payment methods
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Apr 18, 12:47 PM
    • 17,208 Posts
    • 15,517 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Between opening in October last year and the end of Feb, there has been over 242,000 penalty notices issued - that alone should tell you something is awry.
    And in that time, more than 10m vehicles have used the Gateway bridge, together with 80k/day over the Jubilee.

The VAST majority seem to have managed just fine, then.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 12th Apr 18, 1:08 PM
    • 3,334 Posts
    • 7,967 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    ... my friend pointed out that her 80 year old parents would be totally lost as they don't do anything online; even if they noticed the signs, they'd have to get someone else to pay for it. Most likely the signs just wouldn't register.
    Is it time for your friend's parents to stop driving?
    Who'll remember the ones
    who only rode in them to die
    All their lives are just a smudge
    of smoke against the sky
    • Tinks74
    • By Tinks74 12th Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    Tinks74
    At the moment there is no option for drivers to cross the Silver Jubilee Bridge, so I doubt 80k have been crossing it in addition to those who cross the Mersey Gateway.

Local residents have no real excuse for not knowing about the arrangement for paying tolls, it has been well advertised in the local press.

However, speaking as someone who knew about it before they crossed and had already arranged for a CarTag (don't live in Halton so I don't get the residents Tag), I admit that the signage wasn't brilliant.

I was a passenger on my first crossing and actively looking for the signs, they were not easy to see and it was not clear where you should go to pay, too much information on one sign that you couldn't completely read during the time you were passing.
    Signage has since improved a little.

But I can easily see how someone who was not a local or a regular traveler in the area could get caught out, at least the first time.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 12th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    • 2,323 Posts
    • 2,025 Thanks
    giraffe69
    Whenever a new bridge/tunnel/payment scheme starts there is the "why should we have to do anything online if we don't want to" "old people will never cope" "its unfair" etc.
    Whilst operators have a responsibility not to make it too hard and have a system which actually works users also ought to find out what to do. The Dartford Crossing had a new payment system and people complained (with justification if it didn't work) but there are pluses. When the Severn crossing started to allow contactless cards the queue certainly reduced. Even shorter of course at the end of this year when tolls are removed.
    In short life moves on so get used to it or, of course, go the long way round!
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 12th Apr 18, 2:35 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    All you have to do is remember what the bridge is called and use google. It's not hard, for crying out loud. I'm sure the vast majority of those without internet access know someone with internet access.

I see Mr Loophole is touting for business again, perhaps he smells a class action.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,144Posts Today

6,949Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes you would think in this electronic day and age. They could put digital ticket machines on trains https://t.co/RPo4XXvrwk

• RT @Mattallwright: Martin: supplementary: Does she know which platform the train is on, or is it Paddington with five minutes notice to cov?

• RT @KTMGordo: @MartinSLewis Imagine Jane is hungry and late for an urgent appointment & needs to buy a sandwich but the queue's huge. Is?

• Follow Martin