Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chiefie
    • By chiefie 10th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    • 322Posts
    • 331Thanks
    chiefie
    The new WAGs - Worried And Guilty
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:32 PM
    The new WAGs - Worried And Guilty 10th Apr 18 at 8:32 PM
    In my pension planning I didnít expect that iíd Still be worried about supporting the last two kids after UNI but it seems that I am fretting a lot. They are still at uni but Iím worried about their prospects after in terms of income and where they will live. Also feeling guilty about parents (mine have passed) but will we have enough to help MIL through health difficulties. May never retire early at this rate - thought it was our income Iíd only ever have to think about.
Page 2
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 12th Apr 18, 4:24 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 459 Thanks
    Brynsam
    The facts (as opposed to the misunderstandings, panics and general mythology) are set out clearly and accurately on this site, so why not read the reality and then decide how much neurosis, if any, is necessary: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 12th Apr 18, 9:54 PM
    • 10,347 Posts
    • 7,041 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    The facts (as opposed to the misunderstandings, panics and general mythology) are set out clearly and accurately on this site, so why not read the reality and then decide how much neurosis, if any, is necessary: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-tuition-fees-changes
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    Well quite!

On the other hand, those who enjoy getting their knickers in a twist have some justification if their issue is with the incompetence of the Student Loans Company. On the third hand, they are usually the same people who want government to control more and more of our lives, and yet don't understand that that would be like putting the SLC in charge of everything.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
    • zolablue25
    • By zolablue25 13th Apr 18, 8:10 AM
    • 1,575 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    zolablue25
    Originally posted by Brynsam
    Of course, as we have seen, the Government is not averse to retrospectively changing the rules on student loans!
    • chiefie
    • By chiefie 13th Apr 18, 8:23 AM
    • 322 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    chiefie
    I have student debt of around 50K (started university in 2012 just as it went to 9K). I earn 30K a year on a Grad scheme and my student loan repayment has just dropped to £28 a month (previously £56 a month) due to now only having to pay 9% back on anything over 25K (i think). So £28 a month when you have 50K student loan is pretty good in my opinion. Also in comparison to what I earn, £28 really makes no difference to me. What I am trying to say is don't worry that they will be laden with loads of debt, student loan repayment is really quite manageable in my experience.
    Originally posted by OnTheLadder
    Thanks you seem to have it sorted. As others have said I need to let them become adults and deal with the choices you have. My wife and I have discussed this and we both agree it isnít time to think about us. One of my two youngest has not been very appreciative and I guess that I should down to where they are in their head but perhaps they have had it too easy too - itís a difficult balance as a parent.

My worry on the loans is that governments can do what they want at the time. Do you know they actually sell student debt to the private sector to get an immediate return - and at about 50% of book value. I was shocked at this but not surprised.
    • westv
    • By westv 13th Apr 18, 8:34 AM
    • 4,503 Posts
    • 2,108 Thanks
    westv

Do you know they actually sell student debt to the private sector to get an immediate return - and at about 50% of book value. I was shocked at this but not surprised.
    Originally posted by chiefie
    Is that not better than never getting the money back??
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    • 19,642 Posts
    • 52,434 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Thanks you seem to have it sorted. As others have said I need to let them become adults and deal with the choices you have. My wife and I have discussed this and we both agree it isnít time to think about us. One of my two youngest has not been very appreciative and I guess that I should down to where they are in their head but perhaps they have had it too easy too - itís a difficult balance as a parent.
    Then I'd definitely stop worrying about how they're going to manage when they're all grown up.

My worry on the loans is that governments can do what they want at the time. Do you know they actually sell student debt to the private sector to get an immediate return - and at about 50% of book value. I was shocked at this but not surprised.
    But you can wear yourself out worrying about what the Government is going to do about anything!
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 13th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    • 1,535 Posts
    • 1,963 Thanks
    badmemory
    and at about 50% of book value. I was shocked at this but not surprised.
    And if only it was that much!
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 13th Apr 18, 1:01 PM
    • 10,347 Posts
    • 7,041 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    Before you lend children any money you should ask them to explain how they intend to pay it back.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
    • chiefie
    • By chiefie 13th Apr 18, 7:04 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    chiefie
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/13/club-sandwich-generation-pensioners-bankrolling-family-4000/

Funny that this appeared today to
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,187Posts Today

6,266Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin