Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • AndyChis
    • By AndyChis 10th Apr 18, 8:30 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    AndyChis
    Partial Number Plate entered
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:30 PM
    Partial Number Plate entered 10th Apr 18 at 8:30 PM
    Hi,

during the recent cold snap, in twilight, my wife paid for parking at a parking Eye controlled car park. It required that you enter your car reg number.

She put in the money forst (although I believe now she should have entered it later) nd then started to enter her registration. Now we are not sure if it is finger trouble or the machine malfunctioned, but it issued the ticket after she had only entered the first half of her reg no. when it issued the ticket.

later she received a letter from Parking Eye with a 'fine'. Now I still had the ticket showing the amount paid and the first half of the registration number. So I appealed, including a scan of the ticket, explaining she had paid and attempted to enter the reg no when the machine issued the ticket before she completed.

We received a letter telling us that signage advised motorists to enter full/correct reg no (somewhat patronising and ignoring our problem) and 'As a gesture of goodwill' offered to allow us just to pay them 20.00.

I would like to hear your opinions - mine is that they are pretty toxic as 1. My wife paid for her parking 2. It is obvious that at the very least she attempted to enter her registration number.
Page 1
    • Castle
    • By Castle 10th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 2,583 Thanks
    Castle
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    Have they sent a POPLA code?
    • pe567567567
    • By pe567567567 10th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    pe567567567
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    Personally I would tell them that you consider that you have proved that the parking was paid for and that you won't be paying x amount for a simple mistake and that if they are still insisting that you pay tell them you will happily contest this in court.

Of course if they take you to court, which I would doubt, then you will have to contest it.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Apr 18, 9:24 PM
    • 61,816 Posts
    • 74,707 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:24 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:24 PM
    Was it the grotty Aire Street Leeds? If so these are winnable at POPLA.

Where, if not?

Did the appellant admit to driving, and was the PCN received by day 14 after the parking event?
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • AndyChis
    • By AndyChis 10th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AndyChis
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    It was in Southampton.

We have not received a Popla code yet. The Mrs admitted to driving.

Cheers,

Andy
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 10th Apr 18, 10:23 PM
    • 61,816 Posts
    • 74,707 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:23 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:23 PM
    Right. Any scope to complain to the landowner? That's the usual attack to quash these.

They are toxic but the danger is, if she loses at POPLA (we win most but PE win a few) the sum is then whatever the full parking charge was (100? 85? 70?) and PE sue people.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT UNLESS IN SCOTLAND OR NI
    TWO Clicks needed Look up, top of the page:
    Main site>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
    • Half_way
    • By Half_way 10th Apr 18, 11:15 PM
    • 4,280 Posts
    • 6,076 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:15 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:15 PM
    Southampton is a large place, whos car park was it?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,814Posts Today

8,715Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks so much to all who watched @itvMLshow LIVE last night. The ratings are in at 2.4m and 12% share, lower tha? https://t.co/Jj62j1fV5F

• RT @stomp_3k: Oh @MartinSLewis would be proud proud of me went sim free on my mobile contract renewal and bought my handset outright saving?

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Wales Govt steps up to help ?severely mentally impaired? access crucial council tax discount after MSE campaign - BUT M?

• Follow Martin