Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jointhelibrary
    • By Jointhelibrary 10th Apr 18, 8:22 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jointhelibrary
    Mortgage broker lied about meeting us
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:22 PM
    Mortgage broker lied about meeting us 10th Apr 18 at 8:22 PM
    We applied for a mortgage with Skipton at the beginning of March. Itís been taking an interminably long time as they keep coming back asking for extra documents. It turns out weíve been selected for a random audit. We applied through a broker so everything has been going through him. So today when we had missed calls from them it was very odd. They asked if we had met him face to face. We havenít, itís all been done online. At the beginning we signed a declaration form stating that we were happy for the broker to share information with Skipton. I checked just now and there is a section at the top for the broker to fill in and sign to verify that he has seen our ID and that it was pre signed and is a good likeness. This section was blank when we sent it back. So obviously he has lied about meeting us. We are screwed arenít we? I canít bear this after all this time. Has anyone any experience of this? Thankyou
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    • 92,223 Posts
    • 59,404 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:17 PM
    I checked just now and there is a section at the top for the broker to fill in and sign to verify that he has seen our ID and that it was pre signed and is a good likeness.
    Do note that what requirements the lender are frequently different to what they lender has. And systems and requirements do not frequently match.

For example, if the firm uses the electronic verify ID method, not all providers accept that method and we need clients to email or post their photo ID to us. Our copy will use the true copy declaration.

We are screwed aren!!!8217;t we?
    No. Why do you think that?

Has anyone any experience of this?
    Stop worrying about it. There is no issue with any of that.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • ACG
    • By ACG 10th Apr 18, 9:57 PM
    • 16,720 Posts
    • 8,688 Thanks
    ACG
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:57 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:57 PM
    They asked whether you had met him, did they say the paperwork said you had met? If not, you could be reading too much in to it.

You have done nothing wrong (I am assuming) so there is no reason for your application to be declined. If the broker has lied and does not have enough ID on file, you may find he comes back asking for more. That is the only difference between a face to face and none fact to face meeting, the number of ID documents needed.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • Jointhelibrary
    • By Jointhelibrary 10th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jointhelibrary
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    Ok Thankyou, so we are probably panicking for nothing. Iíve never known anything like this before and Iím on my 5th mortgage. Just seemed quite weird theyíd call us when before they said theyíd only go through the broker. Hopefully weíll hear soon anyway. Application went in on 5th March!
    • ACG
    • By ACG 11th Apr 18, 7:56 AM
    • 16,720 Posts
    • 8,688 Thanks
    ACG
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:56 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 7:56 AM
    5th March! I submitted a case to Skipton on the 27th March. The valuation was instructed last week so should have an offer at some point this week.

Skipton are usually quite good I find. So maybe there is some complication?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

805Posts Today

6,258Users online

Martin's Twitter