Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • surveyor_101
    • By surveyor_101 10th Apr 18, 7:58 PM
    • 170Posts
    • 122Thanks
    surveyor_101
    Signed off sick but asked to attend review meeting
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:58 PM
    Signed off sick but asked to attend review meeting 10th Apr 18 at 7:58 PM
    I have been off work sick since the 5/04/18.

My workload went crazy in March as I was asked to take over a project from another member of staff and was just told one day that I was taking over by my Boss. The other member if staff told me in the first week of march his involvement ended in feb.

I struggled with this as not used to as I joined them 5 months ago and had just been assisting on a live project and working on projects that had not started.I had expressed concerns in the weeks prior due to workload but my boss basically said we have no further resource.

The week before last my daughter had an op and I was booked off for 1 day hols but needed two days due to complications before returning to work for 1 day prior to easter break. She has been unwell until this week and we have had many nights if broken sleep.

I called in sick due to sickness and diarrhoea which I had but I believed it was stress related. I attended the doctors two days into my sickness due to my manager phoning me twice a day and requesting I see the doctor.

I have issued a sicknote on the 3 rd day signing (until the 19th April) me off due to Family Circumstances rather than stress as I was unsure what to let the doctor put but she said she couldn't sign me off for two weeks (she advised 4 weeks) on the basis of sick and d. It's stress from work and my daughter's illness.

I scanned and emailed this note to my line manager and they immediately queried the family circumstances. My doctor said they could not quesiton it.

My line manager attended my home on 2pm Friday the 6th without notice. I was not in my mother in law had my children as I was trying to get some rest at my mum's hows some 8 miles away.

I called him that evening and explained I was stressed due to workload and my daughters stressful time in the hospital and at home. He seemed fine with this and I agreed to contact him again on Wednesday the 11th.

I have checked my work emails tonight and found a letter calling me to a meeting on the 16th at the head office some 54 miles away. This is to discuss concerns about my performance and absence, they are also asking why I said I had sickness and then the doctors sick note which they acknowledge says family circumstances. I have not been ill before and only had a day off for my daughter being in the hospital with complications from the op.

I started a course of antidepressants last week and was starting to feel better but this had just made me worse.

I am going to go and see my doctor tomorrow and get further advice but as I understand I am signed off and cannot be expected to attend a meeting about my work performance or absence.
Page 3
    • nicechap
    • By nicechap 13th Apr 18, 9:21 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 2,272 Thanks
    nicechap

Since I am signed off with stress I have been told that it!!!8217;s not advisable and I may be protected but disability act.

Originally posted by surveyor_101
    You can safely ignore every piece of advice this person gives you - reread the thread and absorb the advice here.

You want out, they want you out, you're not doing the job you're paid to do.

Why increase your stress levels fighting unwinable fights?

Time to move on.
    Quote was right and saw into the future.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 13th Apr 18, 9:25 PM
    • 16,201 Posts
    • 40,933 Thanks
    elsien
    The disability act doesn't exist, it's now the Equality Act.
    And it is very likely you would need to off far longer than a week and for or to be more than stress to be anywhere near qualifying as a disability.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 13th Apr 18, 9:43 PM
    • 4,095 Posts
    • 3,557 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    Since I am signed off with stress I have been told that it!!!8217;s not advisable and I may be protected but disability act.

Is your condition expected to last for a year or more or is likely to lead to your death in a shorter timeframe? If not, it's not a disability which should give you any protection in employment.
    • Lavendyr
    • By Lavendyr 13th Apr 18, 10:04 PM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 1,887 Thanks
    Lavendyr
    It's the Equality Act not the Disability Act.

They can get rid of you with under 2 years' service for no reason at all.
    • surveyor_101
    • By surveyor_101 14th Apr 18, 4:18 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    surveyor_101
    Yes I appreciate that but I don!!!8217;t think it!!!8217;s reasonable to expect someone ho is signed off unfit to work to be discussing work performance. Also no concerns were raised prior to 5th April when I became ill.

My contract states I must be available to be interviewed about my absence.

I was doing the job they paid me to do until the 13th March upon which time I was advised to take on further work load as another member of staff was struggling. This member of staff had express concerns about their workload being unworkable. I expressed concerns with my workload and continued to weekly.So by taking one project away in which 3 members of staff had left in the proceeding 4 months.

I appreciate under 2 year makes it!!!8217;s easier to get rid of me but I don!!!8217;t think it!!!8217;s fair and reasonable question me on performance while signed off unfit.

I have a retired and experienced surveyor coming to the meeting as support.

My gut feeling is suggest a negotiated exit since both parties are unhappy.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 14th Apr 18, 7:30 AM
    • 3,138 Posts
    • 1,637 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt

My gut feeling is suggest a negotiated exit since both parties are unhappy.
    All you can do.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • Masomnia
    • By Masomnia 14th Apr 18, 8:40 AM
    • 17,200 Posts
    • 38,055 Thanks
    Masomnia
    You'd probably have a better shout claiming discrimination based on caring for someone with a disability than being disabled yourself though it's tenuous. Although have you actually been diagnosed with depression/anxiety anything like that? If you have then you could try to bring this into it. Stress wouldn't count.

Unless you would count as disabled under the equality act then you need to be realistic about what you're going to get out of this. Drawing up a settlement and negotiating with your solicitor plus legal fees is going to cost them at least a Grand. Plus enhanced notice. Unless you have a realistic claim I don't see them doing it when they can fairly dismiss you.

If you can't return to work you might be best ringing your manager and saying you want to resign and asking nicely if they'll agree on a basic reference that just confirms dates/role. Or if you can tell prospective employers that it was a fixed term contract that came to an end. Most employers are reasonable in my experience and don't want to damage people's careers.

That said, its not unusual for people to do six months in a job and it just not work out, so the employer lets them go. It does happen, probably more than you think. So don't get too down-hearted about it. Employers will understand, and it doesn't have to reflect badly on you. Good luck.
    I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. - P.G. Wodehouse
    • karxlee
    • By karxlee 18th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    karxlee
    latest version of the letter.

Dear XX

Thank you for your letter dated 10th April 2018.

First of all I am sorry I was not home when you visited on Friday the 6th April 2018, if you had called beforehand I could avoided you having a wasted journey, as I explained I was resting at my mother's house du to my children being home for the Easter Half Term.

I have consulted with my doctor and he feels I am not fit to attend such a meeting at this time and notes that I am covered by a Sick Note stating I am unfit for work until the 19th April 2018. This is due to me being signed off with stress and the medication I am on. He believes the stress is mostly work related but partially because of my daughter's operation and she has been unwell with broken sleep since.

He has issued a new sick note today with 'stress' as the reason to clarify the situation. he also stated that sickness and diarrhoea can be and were most likely symptoms of stress. The previous Doctor who issued the sick note on the 5th April 2018 stating 'family circumstances' did so as I was stressed and embarrassed at my diagnosis of stress related illness. I confirm I am happy for you to contact my doctor if necessary to confirm this.

In light of this, I would kindly ask that the meeting is rescheduled for when I feel better but if you still feel they still need an interview with regard to absence me on the 16th April 2018, then I would like to propose that a meeting be at my home address at 2:00pm as an alternative due to my ill health. If that is not convenient please suggest further dates and times in order to arrange an interview.

As per my contract, I am entitled to be interviewed at home by a member of management when off sick. During this interview, I would like to discuss my absence and measures that may be helpful to aid return work.

Yours sincerely

How are you getting on? Have you had the meeting?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,303Posts Today

8,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin