Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • maggiesoup1
    • By maggiesoup1 10th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    • 179Posts
    • 411Thanks
    maggiesoup1
    0 WOW
    Bucket List
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    0 WOW
    Bucket List 10th Apr 18 at 7:47 PM
    I'm turning 65 next year, fortunately still fit & healthy so want to "see the world" before it's too late. My lovely partner is thinking the same as me but he's 5 years older so maybe insurance problems but he has no medical issues.

I'm into experiences ( I'd love to snorkel in aqua blue waters of some ocean or go on a safari - not in a tent, my back couldn't handle that!) he's more into culture (he's talked about visiting Japan)

We've travelled a fair bit already (Most of Europe, Cuba, Vietnam, USA, Emirates etc) but this is probably my last long haul as we can't afford Business Class and two 8 hour flights is just so uncomfortable now.

I've looked at websites to try and get some inspiration (ie the bucket list headline) but nothing floating my boat as they all seem to suggest places we could probably do in an average holiday.

Can anyone point us in the direction of any interesting/unusual websites? We don't have money to burn but prepared to spend more than the usual holiday budget for some amazing memories!

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by maggiesoup1; 10-04-2018 at 7:56 PM.
Page 2
    • samdavies
    • By samdavies 12th Apr 18, 8:54 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    samdavies
    The Camino de Santiago Pilgrimage! It's a unique walk in Spain to Santiago de Compostela, perfect to do during summer for a new and different experience.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 12th Apr 18, 9:01 AM
    • 5,171 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    blindman
    If your husband fancies Japan, then have a look at the Saga tours there (I know I know but hang on!) My parents went with them a couple of years ago as a 'trip of a lifetime' and were really funny about the idea of going with Saga as they weren't even 60 yet, but they were the best value and the best itinerary so they did it and had an absolutely fantastic few weeks seeing all different parts of the country, both urban and rural, and still talk about it regularly.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    And I bet they paid well over the odds for what is a DIY travel country.
    • maggiesoup1
    • By maggiesoup1 12th Apr 18, 9:15 AM
    • 179 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    maggiesoup1
    Thanks for the suggestion re Japan and agree with Blindman. We did 2 weeks in Vietnam & Cambodia under our own steam for a third of what the agencies were charging. Also partner would never consider going with a group, and definitely no to a cruise (he's not as sociable as me!) However, like you he's a HUGE friend of the red squirrels so maybe if could I could send him to a red squirrel sanctuary for a week that would tick his Bucket List at least!
    Last edited by maggiesoup1; 12-04-2018 at 2:54 PM.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 12th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    • 3,057 Posts
    • 8,078 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    And I bet they paid well over the odds for what is a DIY travel country.
    Originally posted by blindman

They were happy with what they paid and had a fantastic experience. Each to their own.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 12th Apr 18, 11:25 AM
    • 5,171 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    blindman
    The Camino de Santiago Pilgrimage! It's a unique walk in Spain to Santiago de Compostela, perfect to do during summer for a new and different experience.
    Originally posted by samdavies
    From what I saw on the TV with the Z list celebs getting a freebie it's hardly a solitude of mediation walk.
    • blindman
    • By blindman 12th Apr 18, 11:27 AM
    • 5,171 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    blindman
    Thanks for the suggestion re Japan and agree with Blindman. He did 2 weeks in Vietnam & Cambodia under our own steam !
    Originally posted by maggiesoup1
    How did you know ?

And it was actually 3 weeks + 1 night in KUL
    • maggiesoup1
    • By maggiesoup1 12th Apr 18, 2:55 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    maggiesoup1
    How did you know ?

And it was actually 3 weeks + 1 night in KUL
    Doh ! typo!
    • sunshine62
    • By sunshine62 16th Apr 18, 9:33 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    sunshine62
    Bucket list destination suggestion
    While you're still making up your mind, Iceland is a viable option.
    It's a short hop from the UK, easy to DIY in advance, and you can snorkel too at Silfra. It will never be a dirt cheap destination, but planning can help mitigate the costs. I went in mid-May and it was already still light until near enough midnight already, so need to return for the Northern lights one day....
    • blindman
    • By blindman 16th Apr 18, 12:01 PM
    • 5,171 Posts
    • 4,196 Thanks
    blindman
    need to return for the Northern lights one day....
    Originally posted by sunshine62
    Go to Tromso for better viewing opportunities.

Feb 2017 Went to Iceland for 1 week-Zilch

Feb 2018 Went to Tromso 5 days-every night

One off my Bucket list
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 16th Apr 18, 1:39 PM
    • 5,618 Posts
    • 7,875 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Go to Tromso for better viewing opportunities.

Feb 2017 Went to Iceland for 1 week-Zilch

Feb 2018 Went to Tromso 5 days-every night

One off my Bucket list
    Went to Tromso on an Aircraft Carrier [HMS BULWARK] in 1981.

Just after we anchored I remember going to one of the loos [called 'Heads'] onboard. There'd just been a minor flood in there, and the bottom couple of inches of my trousers got soaked.

I then went onto the Flight Deck to get a view of Tromso. Within 2 minutes my trouser bottoms had frozen solid!

Going ashore we had to go by tender. I wore 5 layers of clothing, and was still chilled.
    • maggiesoup1
    • By maggiesoup1 16th Apr 18, 9:55 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 411 Thanks
    maggiesoup1
    Jeezo not my dream holiday one bit. I hate the cold !!!55356;!!!57128;!!!55356;!!!57128;
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,068Posts Today

8,750Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin