Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • tboo
    • By tboo 11th Apr 18, 1:01 PM
    • 788 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    tboo
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:01 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:01 PM
    I wanted to ask I am claiming housing benefits and currently I get 3 bedroom lha. And I have 3 bedroom house. But I wanted to ask if I would add another person to benefit claim would I start getting 4 bedroom lha even if I have 3 bedroom house?
    Originally posted by justas31
    Your bedroom rate may increase - use the link as above in venison's post - but if your rent is lower then that is what will be used in the assessment.

If this person is classed as a non dependant then their income will affect your HB.
    The rooms may increase but the non dependant deduction may be greater so may nil any HB .
    Any lodger income will have to declared if you get any..

Is this because of your sons income and the possibility of losing some HB?

VVVVV

Hello,
    Just wanted some advice. I have 2 sons and currently I receive £517 per month. In June one of my sons is turning 18 and won't be continuing going into college as he wants to work. So I just want to see if anyone hass been in this situation and what would be better to do? Would I receive higher amount of housing benefits if he would continue living with us and working or would it be better if he would move out with his friend as he don't mind that. Does anyone know roughly how much of housing benefits would I get in both options?

Thank you.

Well he already has a job offer so money won't be a problem for him and also his friend is already working. So I think and hope that he won't need to claim HB on his own.

I get ESA (which by the way have been really bad as I have called multiple times and they haven't made decision yet if I need to do medical assessment, it has been 3 months already) I also claim child tax credit and child benefits but with those I know how much they will be decreased.

Well he would be earning somewhere between £360 and £400 per week.
    Started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    “You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen
    Mortgage free 2/07/18. 9 years early

• justas31
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    No one of my family member would like to move in and I'm just looking how it would affect the the HB I get the main idea that there will be some deductions made as she works but I don't really understand if my LHA rate will go up even though I will still be living in 3 bedroom house.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 11th Apr 18, 5:25 PM
    • 17,725 Posts
    • 31,342 Thanks
    Ames
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:25 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:25 PM
    It won't. You can only get the LHA rate up to the number of bedrooms you have and need.

If you have too few people you get the LHA bedroom rate for the number of people you have. If you have too many people you get the LHA bedroom rate for the number of rooms you have.

So, if you qualify for three bedrooms and have three bedrooms you get the three bedroom rate.

If you qualify for two bedrooms and have three bedrooms you get the two bedroom rate.

If you qualify for four bedrooms and have three bedrooms you get the three bedroom rate.

(Actual amounts can vary depending on your rent and income).
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • tboo
    • By tboo 11th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 788 Posts
    • 4,226 Thanks
    tboo
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    It's all to do with the rent and the number of people to qualify for a bedroom.

The rate the assessment uses is - if the rent is higher or lower than the LHA then the lower rate is used

eg
    1 for you
    1 for the 18 yr old son
    1 for the other son
    you get the LHA rate for 3 beds

now
    1 for you
    1 for the 18yr old
    1 for the other son
    1 for the other person
    you get the LHA rate for 4 bedrooms

You can have a 10 bed house and pay £1000 rent get LHA for 4 rooms of say £700 - the rate will be £700
    the other way
    you have a 2 bed house and need 6 bed rooms - the rent is £400 and the LHA is £1500 - you get £400

You will get a new LHA rate of 4 rooms but if your rent is lower then you get the rent rate.
    but any difference in this increase may be less than her non dependant deduction so you may not quilify

Link
    Last edited by tboo; 11-04-2018 at 8:21 PM. Reason: added extra
    Started on the No Clutter thread - 25/01/2018
    “You’re only here for a short visit. Don’t hurry, don't worry and be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” —Walter Hagen
    Mortgage free 2/07/18. 9 years early

• justas31
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:22 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:22 PM
    Well I think I got the answer all clear. Thanks everyone for the help.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 13th Apr 18, 7:53 AM
    • 3,128 Posts
    • 1,962 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:53 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 7:53 AM

If you qualify for four bedrooms and have three bedrooms you get the three bedroom rate.
    Originally posted by Ames
    This is wrong. If you qualify for four bedrooms, the four bedroom rate applies no matter how many bedrooms you actually have. Although you won't get more than your actual rent.

This is clearly stated in the last example here: https://www.thanet.gov.uk/your-services/benefits/local-housing-allowance/what-lha-rate/
    Last edited by t0rt0ise; 13-04-2018 at 7:57 AM.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 13th Apr 18, 11:50 AM
    • 17,725 Posts
    • 31,342 Thanks
    Ames
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:50 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 11:50 AM
    This is wrong. If you qualify for four bedrooms, the four bedroom rate applies no matter how many bedrooms you actually have. Although you won't get more than your actual rent.

This is clearly stated in the last example here: https://www.thanet.gov.uk/your-services/benefits/local-housing-allowance/what-lha-rate/
    Originally posted by t0rt0ise
    Thanks for that, the rules must have changed recently.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,497Posts Today

7,314Users online

Martin's Twitter