Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gord115
    • By gord115 10th Apr 18, 6:38 PM
    • 855Posts
    • 228Thanks
    gord115
    Will insurance pay out on other car?
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:38 PM
    Will insurance pay out on other car? 10th Apr 18 at 6:38 PM
    My son had an accident this morning on the way to work.
    He ran in to the back of someone in traffic at about 15mph.

He is fully comp.

The guy was ok about it but the rear bumper was hanging off the newish car with parking sensors etc.

All details were swapped and my son 'phoned his insurance only to be told he wasn't insured for commuting. He says he had no idea.

The other guy now says his car was undriveable (even though he drove off) and that he has whiplash!!!.

What we need to know is if my son wasn't insured for commuting will the insurance pay out for the other car, or will my son have to pay for that, the whiplash claim as well as his own car?

Any advice appreciated.
Page 2
    • marlot
    • By marlot 11th Apr 18, 6:58 AM
    • 3,369 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    marlot
    He is 21 and has been driving for 4 years without a ticket or accident. It seems a genuine mistake.
    He says he did the policy over the 'phone, declared all the mods he has done and that he uses the car for work.
    Originally posted by gord115
    Could there be a recording of that call? It might be worth putting in a formal complaint and ask them to listen to it/review.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Apr 18, 9:03 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 833 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Yes.
    Even though you are driving outside of the permitted terms of your policy, the fact that there is still cover in place regarding third parties means that you are not driving without insurance.
    Your vehicle won't be covered but any third party damage or injuries will be.

This is why on the bottom of your certificate of insurance is will state:

It is advising a third party that they can still claim against your policy even if you are driving outside of what that certificate state you can do.
    Originally posted by Hermione Granger
    So if the terms of an insurance policy say permitted drivers: Any licences driver. (No mention of with the policy holders permission) If that car is stolen why does the person caught driving it get charged with no insurance?
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    • 2,689 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Doesnít matter.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Yeah actually it does. Commuting cover under every policy I've known only covers you to a single place of work. If you work for an agency like I do where its possible to be at 5 different places in a week then commuting doesn't cover you and you need business cover. Thankfully in my experience that has never cost me extra.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Apr 18, 1:24 PM
    • 2,689 Posts
    • 1,932 Thanks
    Tarambor
    So if the terms of an insurance policy say permitted drivers: Any licences driver. (No mention of with the policy holders permission) If that car is stolen why does the person caught driving it get charged with no insurance?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    They may have insurance on their own car which covers them to drive other vehicles.

Then there's the "what is the point" part of this. What is the point of the police wasting money for a lower grade motoring offence when they're going to prosecute for TWOC?
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Apr 18, 1:33 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 833 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    They may have insurance on their own car which covers them to drive other vehicles.

Then there's the "what is the point" part of this. What is the point of the police wasting money for a lower grade motoring offence when they're going to prosecute for TWOC?
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Ok find us an insurance company that will cover you to drive a car youíve just stolen.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 11th Apr 18, 1:35 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 833 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Yeah actually it does. Commuting cover under every policy I've known only covers you to a single place of work. If you work for an agency like I do where its possible to be at 5 different places in a week then commuting doesn't cover you and you need business cover. Thankfully in my experience that has never cost me extra.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Oh do keep up, he hasnít got cover to commute.
    • gord115
    • By gord115 20th Apr 18, 6:34 AM
    • 855 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    gord115
    Got confirmation off insurance they will pay out for the third party,no problem.

They asked my son if he wanted to claim for his own car and he has said no. (he knew the car could be written off due to the age and he didn't want that)

The interesting bit is the third party is claiming for himself and a passenger for whiplash even though he was alone in the car.

Thanks for all your comments.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,501Posts Today

7,651Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: Our money-saving expert @MartinSLewis explains why he's had enough of the scams trying to trick victims using his name and?

• Today's twitter poll: have you ever seen a ghost?

• RT @JohnnyMercerUK: Another important day ahead in achieving parity of esteem between mental and physical health: the breathing space schem?

• Follow Martin