Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Happyhugs
    • By Happyhugs 10th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Happyhugs
    Car repossessed but they want full payment
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    Car repossessed but they want full payment 10th Apr 18 at 5:16 PM
    Hi I am new to this forum not sure if Iím posting this in the right place.
    So my husband got car finance from MoneyWay in Feb 2015, never missed a payment and then got sick in Nov 2017 and couldnít afford the monthly payments. He didnít call them (prob due to concentrating on illness). He left it till eventually they took back the car. They now want another £5000 even though we have paid £7744. £5000 is what is left on the contract even though they have took the car and probably sold it they said because they had to repossess the car they can do that. The car is a Insignia 2011 so is still worth a few grand. He called them and said he is struggling and they have sent him a expenditure form to complete to see what he can afford monthly to pay back the £5000.
    My questions are;
    Can they still charge us full amount even though they have taken the car?
    With the expenditure form can he just include himself and not myself as it is not my loan? And to be honest when he got the loan out I didnít know all the details (like the massive interest rates). So is nothing to do with me.
    Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 10th Apr 18, 5:49 PM
    • 9,425 Posts
    • 10,422 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:49 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:49 PM
    Its not your loan. Just put his details down.
    • Xbigman
    • By Xbigman 11th Apr 18, 12:07 AM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    Xbigman
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:07 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 12:07 AM
    Ask them for a statement showing how they arrived at the figure they are asking for. You might find they sold the car at auction for silly money and the repossession charges are high, in which case your options are very limited. You might find they have charged a lot to fix faults with the car, which you could challenge if you can prove the faults didn't exist or were exagerated.

Best of luck either way.

Darren
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Apr 18, 3:24 AM
    • 26,963 Posts
    • 10,861 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:24 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:24 AM
    2011 Insignia's on autotrader from £2395.

Sell that at auction being repossed and it wont fetch a lot.

Add on late payment fees and recovery fees etc etc and yes it could easily add up.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,469Posts Today

7,129Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin