Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Naomi
    • By MSE Naomi 10th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    MSE Naomi
    MMD: Should I claim money from cash-strapped council?
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    MMD: Should I claim money from cash-strapped council? 10th Apr 18 at 5:14 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I pay for a parking permit from my council. When I renewed this year, it got lost in the post and I was charged £20 to have it reissued. I think this is unfair and I'm considering fighting to get my cash back. But considering how little money many councils have, should I just let it go?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 10-04-2018 at 8:05 PM.
Page 2
    • Philjak13
    • By Philjak13 11th Apr 18, 7:16 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Philjak13
    Given that the permit wasn!!!8217;t received, the responsibility to provide one remains with the council.
    My experience of LAs suggests they are incompetent, rapacious organisations like many forms of government.
    On the other hand a free parking permit for £20.00 is still a great deal. Pragmatism May be your best choice
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 11th Apr 18, 11:28 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    It's too high a charge that the council are making - costs like these are meant to cover administration - staff are not paid £20 for 15 minutes work, so they're making money out of this charge and that's unfair.

Yes I'd fight them to get this back, it's an unfair and too high charge.

Request they send them out by registered post in future to avoid this happening especially in view of the high charge they make for parking permits which are just another way of councils making money, on top of council tax and everything else they charge for.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,680Posts Today

8,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin