Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 10th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    • 3,650Posts
    • 1,750Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Sky box - does it generate its own wifi ?
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    Sky box - does it generate its own wifi ? 10th Apr 18 at 5:06 PM
    Question for Skybox owners (NB. NOT a router question); a neighbour had wifi issues (fixed) but there was a spurious old wifi network which appeared to be emanating from the Skybox (may be a Q box); my wifi detector said make was Bskyb? We didn't get as far as proving it was the Skybox (e.g. by turning it off) for time reasons (and I didn't want to break it).
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 10th Apr 18, 6:25 PM
    • 1,407 Posts
    • 851 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:25 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:25 PM
    all SkyQ boxes are wireless to an extent,you should be able to find the MAC address from your detector and match it to the one listed in the system properties on the SkyQ box.

Sky+HD boxes don't generate their own wireless signals directly, though the last revision of it did have a wirelesss adaptor built in which could be retro-fitted to the previous version but in neither case on Sky+HD did it allow that box to generate wireless signals that anything else could connect to.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 10th Apr 18, 6:33 PM
    • 3,650 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:33 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:33 PM
    Hmmm. Detail:- neighbour has installed a new Sky ROUTER and so they have a new wifi "net"; everything is now using the new wifi and the SkyQbox is connected to a devolo wifi powerline box via ethernet; I have confirmed that the wifi powerline is generating the new wifi net. Some BSkyb device is still sending out the old wifi net. Must be a Sky adapter hidden in the depths of their TV cabinet somewhere.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • Syman
    • By Syman 10th Apr 18, 6:50 PM
    • 2,492 Posts
    • 6,162 Thanks
    Syman
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:50 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:50 PM
    i believe the skyq boxes can be used as a hotspot
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2018 reading Challenge total :- 49/48
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 10th Apr 18, 7:53 PM
    • 2,563 Posts
    • 1,677 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:53 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:53 PM
    Not a neighbour's router?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

885Posts Today

7,454Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin