Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 10th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    • 2,537Posts
    • 300Thanks
    britishboy
    Water leak - best way to save ceiling?
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    Water leak - best way to save ceiling? 10th Apr 18 at 4:45 PM
    We had a water leak earlier in the kitchen, from above a poor connection under the bath. Long story short pulled kitchen ceiling down to locate so that will need re-doing (it was old and artexed anyway, so its an excuse to get rid of it)

We recently had the lounge plastered and decorated, and you can see the plasterboard joins are wet from where the excess water has run, a few drips did come through the light fittings.

Obviously you cna see down where the water ran from the kitchen to above the lounge as the kitchen ceiling is now down, whats the best way to (hopefully) save the newly plastered lounge ceiling?

Would a dehumidifier up in kitchen ceiling dry out the water thats possibly still above the lounge? Or maximum heat in lounge, radiators on full and couple of oil radiators in middle of the room?

Please help save my new lounge ceiling
Page 1
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 10th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    • 1,512 Posts
    • 890 Thanks
    Ruski
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    Let it dry out of it's own accord, give it 4 weeks to be safe then stain block and repaint...

All assuming your plumbing fix holds water

HTH

Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    • 1,339 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    Don!!!8217;t put the heating on.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 10th Apr 18, 7:04 PM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 300 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:04 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:04 PM
    Thanks guys

Andy Mc, why not? (genuine question, not being picky)

I just assumed the warmer it got, the quicker it would dry out? And less chance of damage due to shorter time being wet? (I bet I'm completely wrong)
    Last edited by britishboy; 10-04-2018 at 7:06 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

28Posts Today

2,712Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin