Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • APM92
    • By APM92 10th Apr 18, 4:18 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    APM92
    Employment to self employed
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:18 PM
    Employment to self employed 10th Apr 18 at 4:18 PM
    Hi all, sorry if this is wrong section of the forum.

I am currently in a minimum wage job (that I am really looking to leave). I am looking into a work from home job as a transcriber (a company such as TakeNote Ltd) but as it is our income is propped up by working tax credits.

In this self employed role I'd be earning roughly the same as my employment before tax and NI, but I am wondering if tax credits could still be claimed? The gov website says about self employment, but it isn't 100% clear as this job wouldn't require input of my own money, its basically freelance work. I would be aiming to keep a steady work flow and amount of hours a week etc, but this is only possible to do if i can get tax credits still.

Any information I can get on this would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 10th Apr 18, 6:15 PM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:15 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:15 PM
    Working Tax Credits can be claimed for self-employment, its based on your income for the previous tax year however you worked. For purely self-employed people its the same as employed people - working for 30hrs a week.

You might want to read this previous thread about TakeNote:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5014358
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

125Posts Today

1,514Users online

Martin's Twitter