Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Milliepops
    • By Milliepops 10th Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Milliepops
    Bathroom quote
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:15 PM
    Bathroom quote 10th Apr 18 at 4:15 PM
    Hi all,

I've decided to update my bathroom and have recently had a couple of quotes for installation. The bathroom is approx 6' x 6', with a loo, pedestal basin and a bath with overhead thermostatic shower (with riser rail). It's currently half tiled.

I want to replace it with a new white suite, middle of the range, nothing fancy, and floor to ceiling (ceramic) tiles. There will be no change to any of the plumbing, no electrical work, literally just a like for like replacement.

I'm being quoted in the region of £5,700-£8000 for installation alone. One chap is charging £130 per sq meter for tiling! These aren't even the big boys like B&Q, Wickes etc.

Am I being ripped off? I've never redone a bathroom before but I've done my research and these prices just seem inexplicably high considering the size and finish I'm after! Can someone advise if this is the going rate for a straightforward refit? I'm based in Warwickshire.

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Ruski
    • By Ruski 10th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    • 1,482 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    Ruski
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:21 PM
    3k for installation

HTH

Russ (Warks!!)
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 10th Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    • 24,917 Posts
    • 68,304 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    3k for installation

HTH

Russ (Warks!!)
    Originally posted by Ruski
    There's always variables but I think it's around there too if the OP hasn't forgotten something exciting.

Nicola (Worcs!)
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Apr 18, 5:58 PM
    • 1,205 Posts
    • 824 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:58 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:58 PM
    I!!!8217;m guessing only two of the three trades estimating costs will be around much longer.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 10th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 24,917 Posts
    • 68,304 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    I!!!8217;m guessing only two of the three trades estimating costs will be around much longer.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    You were right!
    • Nile
    • By Nile 10th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 14,280 Posts
    • 14,239 Thanks
    Nile
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.

I’ve moved your thread from the ‘In my home’ board to the ‘Is This Quote Fair?’ board, where it is better suited.

Regards

Nile
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • Shropshirelass
    • By Shropshirelass 15th Apr 18, 3:43 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 3,721 Thanks
    Shropshirelass
    • 15th Apr 18, 3:43 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 3:43 PM
    Milliepops: did the quotes include tiling?

We're looking at having similar work done, but OH trying to keep the old tiles to save expenses. I'm not sure result will be successful.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 15th Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    • 24,917 Posts
    • 68,304 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    Milliepops: did the quotes include tiling?

We're looking at having similar work done, but OH trying to keep the old tiles to save expenses. I'm not sure result will be successful.
    Originally posted by Shropshirelass
    It won't be. Change the tiles.

I wouldn't use Millie's quote for comparison. It was labour only, including tiling but that is really high for an ordinary bathroom.

£5-8,000 should get you a typical, averagely sized bathroom, fully tiled with a suite of a decent standard.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 15th Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    • 25,439 Posts
    • 54,123 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    ^This £5-8k quote is interesting! When I watch "Homes Under The Hammer" etc kitchen and bathroom renovations are always top of the list, yet the cost seems to be minimal, even accounting for DIY installation. The magic of TV, eh?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 15th Apr 18, 7:24 PM
    • 2,428 Posts
    • 1,589 Thanks
    flashg67
    ^This £5-8k quote is interesting! When I watch "Homes Under The Hammer" etc kitchen and bathroom renovations are always top of the list, yet the cost seems to be minimal, even accounting for DIY installation. The magic of TV, eh?
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Labour is usually the biggest cost. I've fitted my own kitchens & bathrooms for £1200 or less. (Nothing luxurious, but reasonable/ok quality)
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 15th Apr 18, 7:30 PM
    • 24,917 Posts
    • 68,304 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    Don't get me started on that programme. It enrages me.
    I've seen dry rot painted over, I've seen properties with damp patches visibly coming back through the walls. I've seen 'refurbishments' that barely involved cleaning the existing place. Terrible workmanship visible on a TV doesn't stand the place in great stead for the future.

Some 'landlords' think tenants are second class citizens and deserve to live in damp hovels.

Even if they do a half decent job, they're motivated to lie for their ego to show them making (more) money.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

1,872Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin