Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • daniejam
    • By daniejam 10th Apr 18, 4:09 PM
    • 16Posts
    • 0Thanks
    daniejam
    Issues with house while renting
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:09 PM
    Issues with house while renting 10th Apr 18 at 4:09 PM
    Hi, I am having a few issues with my house that I am renting and want to know my options.

The main issue was back in December there was a leak in the bathroom which was fixed in December, however the leak caused a lot of mould in the master bedroom, which now keeps growing back and I am having to pull the bed off the wall every 2-3 weeks and clear it all off with anti mould spray etc.

Every time I ask the estate agents they say that the landlord is trying to decide what to do.

The other issue is that there was an issue with the en-suite, it has been replaced but in the process they have broken the door to the hallway in the master bedroom. I have rang them and they said the landlord is looking for a quote from a company but it might not be fixed for 2-3 weeks. I said I would fix it myself but they told me I wasn't allowed to.

I share the house with another friend and my girlfriend stays over quite a few times a week. I'm sure you can understand not having a bedroom door isn't exactly ideal.

The estate agents have told me this is all normal.

Any advice / help is appreciated.
Page 1
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 10th Apr 18, 4:59 PM
    • 9,446 Posts
    • 12,660 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:59 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:59 PM
    Follow Shelter's excellent advice on how to report issues to landlord (yes LANDLORD), in writing/email, copy agent, keep copy, including what to do if landlord doesn;t fix. Including draft letter. See here
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/how_to_report_repairs_to_a_private_landlord
    • daniejam
    • By daniejam 10th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    daniejam
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:16 PM
    I have emails / call recordings of all complaints to the estate agent.

Wouldn't that be the same as contacting the land lord?
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 10th Apr 18, 5:24 PM
    • 663 Posts
    • 1,030 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:24 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:24 PM
    No, not at all.

As artful said above, you must WRITE (a letter) to the LANDLORD (not the agency). It's all in the Shelter link above.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 10th Apr 18, 5:36 PM
    • 9,446 Posts
    • 12,660 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:36 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:36 PM
    It's entirely possible that the agent has not even informed landlord. WRITE to landlord, cope agent, keep copy. And if nothing done, follow Shelter's further steps.
    • daniejam
    • By daniejam 10th Apr 18, 5:47 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    daniejam
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:47 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:47 PM
    ok I will do that as well. I do know the landlord is the one making the delays / decisions though as she uses her own contractor instead of the agencys and I was in the office when they rang her about the door :x
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 10th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 2,908 Posts
    • 5,907 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    Ironically, daniejam, the best advice for tenants I read on here is always from private LLs, such as Slithery and the excellent artfullodger... And G_M, Pixie, Mossfarr. Listen to these guys for your own good. Wish I had made their interweb acquaintance years ago.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 10th Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    • 9,446 Posts
    • 12,660 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:01 PM
    ok I will do that as well. I do know the landlord is the one making the delays / decisions though as she uses her own contractor instead of the agencys and I was in the office when they rang her about the door :x
    Originally posted by daniejam
    Was it the agent told you that?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,613Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin