Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fatbeetle
    • By fatbeetle 10th Apr 18, 3:53 PM
    • 391Posts
    • 712Thanks
    fatbeetle
    I'm rusty
    • 10th Apr 18, 3:53 PM
    I'm rusty 10th Apr 18 at 3:53 PM
    The second hand campervan I recently bought is in good shape, but has a number of small rust spots here and there. As I'd like to keep her in good nick I'd like to address these.

Is there a proprietary rust killer that is worth investing in, or should I look to cut them back and respray.

The van is VW "Candy White" if that helps?
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
Page 1
    • EdGasketTheSecond
    • By EdGasketTheSecond 10th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    • 527 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    EdGasketTheSecond
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:40 PM
    I use Hammerite / Smoothrite paint; can go straight onto rust and only one coat needed so doesn't take long. many colours available. Depends if you just want something to just cover it up or a semi-professional job though.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 10th Apr 18, 9:27 PM
    • 2,432 Posts
    • 1,590 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:27 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:27 PM
    I've had good results with 'Kurust' - available in most car shops/Amazon etc. It does need to painted over after application though
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 10th Apr 18, 10:27 PM
    • 3,062 Posts
    • 1,941 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:27 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:27 PM
    Kurust has been around for many years, and works well. It converts rust into a hard purple-black substance that can be painted over.

However, it will only be a short-term fix if you don't fix whatever was causing the rust in the first place. Applying Kurust to the outside of a panel that's rusting away from the inside isn't going to achieve much.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Apr 18, 10:28 PM
    • 17,204 Posts
    • 15,514 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:28 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:28 PM
    Unless these "rust spots" are from stonechips which have been left un-touched-up, what you're seeing is the tip of the iceberg. Rust starts from the inside - from the back of double-skinned sections, or from inside box sections - not from the outside.
    • tedted
    • By tedted 10th Apr 18, 11:09 PM
    • 141 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    tedted
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:09 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:09 PM
    rust does not start from just the inside it depends on where the damage is
    • fatbeetle
    • By fatbeetle 11th Apr 18, 9:32 AM
    • 391 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    fatbeetle
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:32 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:32 AM
    Many thanks people, when I pick the van up I'll get some images on here for further advice.
    “If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and who weren't so lazy.”
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,769Posts Today

8,800Users online

Martin's Twitter