Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Quovadisuk
    • By Quovadisuk 10th Apr 18, 3:05 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Quovadisuk
    Best deal with a big spend coming up
    • 10th Apr 18, 3:05 PM
    Best deal with a big spend coming up 10th Apr 18 at 3:05 PM
    Hi , I will be spending 11k in the next few months on a big family holiday we have been saving for years ... I do have the cash available but thought by paying by card I could get some benefits back ... any ideas anyone ... The company doesnt take AMEX so thats out ... just thinking the best way to do it ... we do save nectar points and tesco points but cant seem to see any deals on these

any ideas folks!!
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 10th Apr 18, 3:57 PM
    • 8,771 Posts
    • 10,042 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 10th Apr 18, 3:57 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 3:57 PM
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/best-credit-card-rewards summarises current offerings in the market, but without knowing anything about your finances or the staging of the holiday payments, it may be a challenge to get a sizable credit limit on a new card....
    • theburningcat
    • By theburningcat 10th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    theburningcat
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:55 PM
    If you're willing/able to have miles instead of cash and Amex isn't an option then probably the new Virgin Atlantic cards.
    • Quovadisuk
    • By Quovadisuk 11th Apr 18, 11:42 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Quovadisuk
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:42 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:42 AM
    Hi Thanks for the info ... I have checked with the company and they say all cards are now accepted inc AMEX so I will look again . I see amex are offering Nectar points which may be an option . Does anyone know if you can apply for more than one Amex card ... My credit card rating is good so no issues there ... I ask as they offer several different types of cards with different offers
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 11th Apr 18, 11:44 AM
    • 2,760 Posts
    • 1,568 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:44 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:44 AM
    You don't have a credit rating - be it good or bad.

Also you may not get a limit anywhere near 11k
    • redpete
    • By redpete 11th Apr 18, 11:42 PM
    • 4,300 Posts
    • 3,817 Thanks
    redpete
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:42 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:42 PM
    You don't have a credit rating - be it good or bad.
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Of course they have a credit rating. Each lender applies their algorithm to the financial history and current circumstances of a potential borrower and this ends up with a judgement of risk and whether they are prepared to lend. This judgement of risk vs reward can reasonably be considered a credit rating. Trouble is that the number someone like experian gives you (a credit rating) might be quite different to a lender's assessment.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

197Posts Today

1,297Users online

Martin's Twitter