Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • geoffibs
    • By geoffibs 10th Apr 18, 3:04 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 11Thanks
    geoffibs
    Halifax suspended account.
    • 10th Apr 18, 3:04 PM
    Halifax suspended account. 10th Apr 18 at 3:04 PM
    My father has terminal leukaemia and has chosen to come home. Apart from pain management all treatment has stopped and it is purely palliative care.

He wanted to transfer around 1700 (leaving 1 in) from his Halifax savings account to his Natwest current account so he can sort out his affairs and give some money to his family "with a warm hand" as the saying goes because he thought this would be easier.

He went online and couldn't remember the passwords so reset them easily enough and started the transfer. On the final page it stated it was pending and to call their what we now know was the fraud number.

Being 83 he couldn't remember half the things they asked and so they have suspended the account as they weren't satisfied he was genuine. They advised he could go into the local branch with ID and it would be released. He told them he was bed-ridden and on oxygen and she said "how can you be making this call then" Clearly she has no understanding of nasal oxygen delivery (6ml rate so not a small amount either!). She said there was nothing she could do. I asked for solutions and eventually she said it may be possible for a home visit to verify id. I had to keep on at her saying there must be a solution for this sort of situation as she wasn't going to even tell me that.

I went to my local branch to see if they would do a home visit under the circumstances and they were great and the Manager was happy to, subject to director approval. I received a call later that day to say approval wasn't granted. The decision was made by the Directors and security team. I asked them what I could do and they said as far as Halifax were concerned, unless my father can go to the branch in with I.D. then there is nothing. The account will remain blocked.

I have lodged a formal complaint but heard nothing. It has only been a week but my Dad is distraught. He wants everything finalised and in order. The day it happened he needed medication as he got so upset by it.

I understand the fraud side of things and it is actually reassuring. (although no need for the snotty comment they made). The issue is that they have my fathers money and he has no means of getting it. Halifax just refuse a home visit. I asked for other ways to resolve it and they said sorry, there is nothing they can do. I even suggested a doctors letter to re-enforce his inability to attend physically. It all fell on deaf ears. They just didn't want to know.

The Ombudmans site says something along the lines of they won't be able to help until complaints procedure with bank is complete or 8 weeks after formal complaint I think it is but it will be too late then.

I enquired about closing the account but because he opened it online, there is no record of his signature so they can't close it by hand written letter. It can't be closed online because it is frozen. The local branch sympathises with me but has said there is nothing they can do.I have even offered to pay for the home visit but this was also refused.

As well as the upset of this and he can't do what he wants with his own money, my father being old school believes the money will be lost when he passes no matter how much I try to reassure him. This is really eating at him literally on his deathbed. I can't believe the bank is so heartless. Even the local branch said they can sometimes be too black and white about things. I have obviously offered to give him the money and I will sort later but he gets frustrated and says it's not the same as he wants HIS money to give out as he pleases. He feels it wouldn't be finalised in his mind. I can understand that.

Any idea on what he can do and quite quickly? Sorry this is a little emotive but I just want my pops at ease. The poor fella has been through enough.

Thank you for listening and any advice.
    Last edited by geoffibs; 10-04-2018 at 3:08 PM.
Page 3
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 17th Apr 18, 10:48 AM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 2,093 Thanks
    Robin9
    The lesson learnt if you are not sure you can pass the security check and you know you are not able to visit the branch in person don't even try and ask for a 3rd party access form instead.
    Originally posted by Emily Joy
    This is fine in theory but when, like OP's father, you are ill - rational thought can go out of the window.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 17th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 9,180 Posts
    • 6,877 Thanks
    pmduk
    The 8 week wait to escalate complaint to the FOS starts from your original complaint. Halifax losing the letter counts for nothing. Nationwide tried that with me and the FOS wouldn't let them use it as an excuse. Mind you, I had note of their complaint acknowledgement.
    • geoffibs
    • By geoffibs 18th Apr 18, 8:38 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    geoffibs
    Good news. We received a call from Halifax yesterday. They went through a few security questions with my Dad and they said he will receive a cheque in the post and the account is closed. They had no other information and didn't speak to me.

In the post this morning was a cheque for the full amount. No explanation or anything, just confirming it was in respect of monies requested from his account.

I'm not sure which bit prompted it - emails directly (thanks again PeacefulWaters), Twitter - I started posting every hour or so with a link to here saying "why are you doing this to my Dad", the media as I wrote to 2 newspapers - one said they were interested and trying to find out more or my final complaint saying if I didn't have some sort of response within 48 hours I'm going to the BBC and I've already been to the newspapers.

Either way, my Dad is really pleased. He has deteriorated but this has given him a little boost.

Thank your once again everyone for your help and it does show how we need to put things in place ahead of time if at all possible.
    Last edited by geoffibs; 19-04-2018 at 4:12 PM. Reason: Typo
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 18th Apr 18, 8:44 AM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,670 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Really glad he's got some sort of acceptable result in reasonable time.
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 18th Apr 18, 9:54 AM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    Vortigern
    The lesson learnt if you are not sure you can pass the security check and you know you are not able to visit the branch in person don't even try and ask for a 3rd party access form instead.
    Originally posted by Emily Joy
    A lesson we should all learn from this thread is that we should ensure that all our banks and other financial institutions have our signatures on file so that they can accept written instructions when necessary.

In many cases we apply online, and if there's no cheque book the bank may not have a specimen signature.
    • BooJewels
    • By BooJewels 18th Apr 18, 11:05 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    BooJewels
    I've been following this thread with interest and I'm delighted that there has been some sort of resolution and some peace of mind for your Dad. I'm just sorry that he had to endure this un-wanted intrusion at this time - it really could have been handled better.

I've very recently lost one parent and the other is in good shape, but advancing in years, so we have set up an LPA whilst he was in the right place to do so. I would reiterate the encouragement to others to look into this, where you have elderly or poorly loved ones. It provides peace of mind for all parties and is worth getting over the squeamishness of raising the subject. As it happens, both my sister and I had been quietly dropping hints for some time and he finally suggested the time was right by himself. The time to do it is when they're actually well.

I send you my best wishes to face the difficult times ahead and hope it brings him some pleasure to undertake the tasks that were important to him - it's often these little gestures that matter so much.
    Last edited by BooJewels; 18-04-2018 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 18th Apr 18, 12:07 PM
    • 4,572 Posts
    • 15,093 Thanks
    Westie983
    Good news. We received a call from Halifax yesterday. They went through a few security questions with my Dad and they said he will receive a cheque in the post and the account is closed. No had no other information and didn't speak to me.

In the post this morning was a cheque for the full amount. No explanation or anything, just confirming it was in respect of monies requested from his account.

I'm not sure which bit prompted it - emails directly (thanks again PeacefulWaters), Twitter - I started posting every hour or so with a link to here saying "why are you doing this to my Dad", the media as I wrote to 2 newspapers - one said they were interested and trying to find out more or my final complaint saying if I didn't have some sort of response within 48 hours I'm going to the BBC and I've already been to the newspapers.

Either way, my Dad is really pleased. He has deteriorated but this has given him a little boost.

Thank your once again everyone for your help and it does show how we need to put things in place ahead of time if at all possible.
    Originally posted by geoffibs
    Glad to hear things have been sorted.

Best wishes to you and your family

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (25000)+15300/12000 = 127.50%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (410) + 40/500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total 115.00/365 = 31.50%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 1200/1000 = 120.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1500)+-470/2000 = 51.50%

Total 17,685.00/15865 = 111.47%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

561Posts Today

6,879Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today?s twitter poll: Does President Trump put you off visiting the USA?? On Friday I did a poll about cities you'? https://t.co/5gbpoA9bF9

• RT @helen_undy: We're expanding our trustee board at this exciting point in @mmhpi's development, looking for 3 talented people to join @Ma?

• Got a passion for mental health?We're looking to expand the @mmhpi board with 3 new high level trustees - pref with? https://t.co/wSc0itUZO4

• Follow Martin