Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FriendlyFoe
    • By FriendlyFoe 10th Apr 18, 1:49 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 66Thanks
    FriendlyFoe
    Car Insurance after Accident
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:49 PM
    Car Insurance after Accident 10th Apr 18 at 1:49 PM
    I'm hoping to get a little perspective if possible. I was involved in a car accident November 2017 where I accepted liability. There was another car involved and one other party. My insurance renewed before the 3rd party settled. The advise of my insurer at the time was to renew with a preliminary estimation of the claim against my policy at 4000.

I renewed, knowing the figure was not set in stone and was happy with my new policy cost. (400/year)

I have now been informed the claim was settled at 15200.

My concern is now that when I renew next year this may substantially impact my premiums, more so than the estimated 4000 payout. Are my concerns founded? Thanks for any insight anyone can give.
Page 1
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 10th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    I don't believe the cost of the claim has a huge impact on your premiums, it's more the fact that you were involved in an accident and you were at fault that counts.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 10th Apr 18, 11:39 PM
    • 36,846 Posts
    • 20,986 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:39 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:39 PM
    You can find out now what difference if any a 15k claim on your record costs compared with a 4k one makes to premiums by doing dummy quotes online with the different values being used on separate applications
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

885Posts Today

7,454Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin