Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 10th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    • 271Posts
    • 151Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Waitrose to get rid of disposable cups - if you're a MyWaitrose customer, you'll need to b
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Waitrose to get rid of disposable cups - if you're a MyWaitrose customer, you'll need to b 10th Apr 18 at 1:41 PM
    Waitrose will be removing takeaway coffee cups from all of its stores by autumn - if you're a MyWaitrose customer you'll need to take your own cup to get your free hot drink
    Read the full story:
    'Waitrose to get rid of disposable cups - if you're a MyWaitrose customer, you'll need to bring your own'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 2
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 11th Apr 18, 9:50 PM
    • 10,935 Posts
    • 23,521 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    No, because no one stands by the macine checkin if theyve got a Waitrose cup, you could easily get a free coffe with any cup!
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    Not in our one.

The machine is right next to the customer service desk.

I am another one who has difficulty seeing how this is going to work.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 11th Apr 18, 11:57 PM
    • 2,246 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    robin58
    Not in our one.

Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    Waitrose don't want to see it work.

When it gets to be totally unworkable by thier own tinkering they will close the free coffee deal saying 'it's unworkable.'

I next see the free paper only being offered when you spend £20.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • kiwi07
    • By kiwi07 12th Apr 18, 12:08 AM
    • 1,605 Posts
    • 1,084 Thanks
    kiwi07
    Waitrose don't want to see it work.

When it gets to be totally unworkable by thier own tinkering they will close the free coffee deal saying 'it's unworkable.'

I next see the free paper only being offered when you spend £20.
    Originally posted by robin58
    When they do that it will be the beginning of the end of Waitrose.
    Last edited by kiwi07; 12-04-2018 at 10:18 PM.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 12th Apr 18, 8:06 AM
    • 6,619 Posts
    • 19,490 Thanks
    Doc N
    When they do that it will be the beginning the end of Waitrose.
    Originally posted by kiwi07
    The beginning of the end of Waitrose has already arrived. It arrived when Aldi and Lidl started targeting its customers - and succeeded. It’s amazing how many former Waitrose customers we now see there, and these are people who wouldn’t be seen dead in Tesco or Morrisons.
    • Mee
    • By Mee 12th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    • 1,082 Posts
    • 1,028 Thanks
    Mee
    Not at one of my local Waitrose. If you want tea you get a sealed one cup Duchy tea bag at the till when you pay. Strangely this procedure was introduced because of customers pocketing extra tea bags. And this is the part of town with money.
    Originally posted by robin58
    Good for them. Where I am non of the three nearest Waitrose stores have such a system.

Those with money seem to be the worst - a sense of entitlement based on, I suppose, how much they spend in the store?
    He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it. [MLK]
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 12th Apr 18, 12:10 PM
    • 5,975 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Q
    Not in our one.

Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    So is ours (Banstead), but no one is checking the cups, nor on any branch ive been to.
    As I said anyone with a cup could get free coffee if you were so inclined, also at the checkouts when asked "do you want a coffee?" The take up is less than 50%.
    • janesmith
    • By janesmith 12th Apr 18, 8:55 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    janesmith
    Ridiculous idea. Who carries a cup around with them all day long so that they can use when they do their shopping at Waitrose?

Waitrose have gradually been degrading the benefit of using their card through several measures in the last few years, and this measure is another regressive step.

Waitrose's prices are astronomical and getting rid of every benefit of using the supermarket through every trick imagineable will continue to drive people away.
    • kiwi07
    • By kiwi07 12th Apr 18, 10:22 PM
    • 1,605 Posts
    • 1,084 Thanks
    kiwi07
    Ridiculous idea. Who carries a cup around with them all day long so that they can use when they do their shopping at Waitrose?

Waitrose have gradually been degrading the benefit of using their card through several measures in the last few years, and this measure is another regressive step.

Waitrose's prices are astronomical and getting rid of every benefit of using the supermarket through every trick imagineable will continue to drive people away.
    Originally posted by janesmith
    I agree with you. The next thing they do is to say "After listening to our loyal customers and taking into account how inconvenient it were for them to bring their own cups, we finally decided to stop giving free coffees in all our shops".
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 13th Apr 18, 7:57 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    NeilCr
    Originally posted by janesmith
    Where I am the majority of people who get the free coffee are from local offices/estate agents etc. So they can just keep a cup there. I pick up a coffee on my way back from the gym - no hardship to pop a cup in my gym bag.

Shoppers use the cafe quite often. Or, as many drive, they have a cup in the car. A lot of cars have cup holders these days

I like Waitrose. It is my nearest store so the obvious one to shop at. As previously said staff are friendly and no rush at the checkout. Last time I shopped at Lidl the young checkout lady whizzed the stuff through so quickly it took me a while to catch up. Much tutting and sighing from the queue behind me!

Like others, I am interested to see how (if) they manage it. It would be all too easy in our branch to nip in with a cup and nip out again.
    Last edited by NeilCr; 13-04-2018 at 8:46 AM.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 13th Apr 18, 8:42 AM
    • 5,975 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    roddydogs
    If you really hard up, get an old cup out of the bin, take it in the loo and wash it, hey presto free coffee, and its a Waitrose cup! (Lol)
    • DigForVictory
    • By DigForVictory 13th Apr 18, 9:18 AM
    • 7,583 Posts
    • 21,656 Thanks
    DigForVictory
    I work in an office near a Waitrose & we teach new arrivals to get a card to get a brew. We're planning a team outing to various pound shops to source travel mugs so we can carry on our happy habits.
    Waitrose is perfectly reasonable for milk, has an impressive choice of teas coffees sandwiches & biscuits (for visitors) & we ran a vigorous grapevine on the advent promotions (especially the 50% off boxed chocolates as I recall!)
    They employ nice staff & appear to wish to do no harm - we will happily support them. If it all goes sideways, we may have to remind folks of Greggs offerings, but the Waitrose coffee is much nicer.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 13th Apr 18, 10:11 AM
    • 1,712 Posts
    • 8,394 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Where I am the majority of people who get the free coffee are from local offices/estate agents etc. So they can just keep a cup there.
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    Ditto. The one I most use is the one nearest the office (on days I actually am there) so I have a travel mug in my bag and grab coffee on the way in. The coffee point is away from the checkouts so there's no obvious check that I've bought something (there's also a manned coffee point behind the patisserie counter who presumably could ask to see a card or receipt if I presented my travel mug.) I do always buy something - biscuits for the office or packet of mints/gum but that's just my personal ethics in play.
    Womble #7 - Running Total £9.56 $1.99 €3.35 S//0.10 (that's supposed to be 10 Ukrainian kopiyki but the site is refusing to display the symbol) Bds$0.10 A$0.05 C$0.88 S$0.20 zl0.02 (Polish grosze) LB0.22 (Bulgarian stotinka) ISKr 5 DKr 0.50 CHF 0.50
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 13th Apr 18, 4:22 PM
    • 6,619 Posts
    • 19,490 Thanks
    Doc N
    Frankly, I’ve given up with the ‘free’ coffees, though we’ve been using our own reusable cups for ages to avoid the hassle of getting a cup at the QuickCheck tills.

The novelty’s worn off, I can make better coffee at home at the press of a button, and I can save a small fortune by just not going through those expensive doors.

As for stopping people getting free coffees under the new system, the fact remains that it’s straight theft and if somebody’s going to steal there’s not a lot you can do about it. In reality though they’d be losing maybe 40p a cup so I doubt they’d be too bothered.

I agree with others though that it’s probably all part of the master plan to ditch it altogether.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 13th Apr 18, 4:40 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    NeilCr

The novelty!!!8217;s worn off, I can make better coffee at home at the press of a button, and I can save a small fortune by just not going through those expensive doors.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    I guess it's how you use it. I pick one up early morning when I'm off to volunteer. Kettle and Maxwell House there!. Or on the way back from the gym. And, the Waitrose coffee is perfectly acceptable.

I just buy a small item to get the coffee. Usually less than a pound. When the system changed to having to buy something our Waitrose staff were pointing out the cheapest available item

As I said, main users at my Waitrose are office staff/estate agents. They do what I do or pick up a sandwich for their lunch.
    Last edited by NeilCr; 13-04-2018 at 5:05 PM.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 15th Apr 18, 11:51 AM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 2,919 Thanks
    LadyDee
    All this fuss about a free cup of coffee - does Waitrose really think its core customers shop there for a free coffee, I'm sure it only attracts people who shop at cheaper supermarkets for their free coffee - done it myself now and again (probably 3 times), and only bought things on offer sufficient to qualify for the coffee.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 15th Apr 18, 12:19 PM
    • 5,975 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    roddydogs
    At the moment checkout staff ask all MW customers "do you want a coffee", so they will now have to stop, in case the customer hasn't got a cup! Even if you've just spent £100!
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 15th Apr 18, 12:48 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    NeilCr
    All this fuss about a free cup of coffee - does Waitrose really think its core customers shop there for a free coffee, I'm sure it only attracts people who shop at cheaper supermarkets for their free coffee - done it myself now and again (probably 3 times), and only bought things on offer sufficient to qualify for the coffee.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    I'd be inclined to think that Waitrose know fine well that a free coffee isn't the big draw when it comes to the major shop. Although it's a nice to have. It's more about getting the office worker/passer by/whoever in through the door.

I am a bit surprised by people who only think in "major shop" terms and don't seem to consider people go into supermarkets for other reasons - these are the ones I reckon Waitrose are most interested in with the free coffee.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 15th Apr 18, 1:21 PM
    • 2,779 Posts
    • 2,919 Thanks
    LadyDee
    I'd be inclined to think that Waitrose know fine well that a free coffee isn't the big draw when it comes to the major shop. Although it's a nice to have. It's more about getting the office worker/passer by/whoever in through the door.

I am a bit surprised by people who only think in "major shop" terms and don't seem to consider people go into supermarkets for other reasons - these are the ones I reckon Waitrose are most interested in with the free coffee.
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    Could be they don't want to lose their core customer base and that "free" cup of coffee means they do keep coming back. I do my shopping "as and when" - haven't done a major shop in years. Told an acquaintance a little while ago that I was on my way to Aldi to get a few things, her response, "But don't you care about BRANDS - and you can get a free cup of coffee in Waitrose"! That's what suprises me.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 15th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 2,033 Thanks
    NeilCr
    Could be they don't want to lose their core customer base and that "free" cup of coffee means they do keep coming back. I do my shopping "as and when" - haven't done a major shop in years. Told an acquaintance a little while ago that I was on my way to Aldi to get a few things, her response, "But don't you care about BRANDS - and you can get a free cup of coffee in Waitrose"! That's what suprises me.
    Originally posted by LadyDee
    But do you think if she is that bothered about "brands" taking away a free cup of coffee is going to change where she shops.

I am not that bothered about brands but for a number of reasons I like shopping at Waitrose. I will continue to do so - free cup of coffee or not. As would those friends of mine that shop there.

ETA.

The comment about major shops was not aimed at you at all. Apologies if it came over that way. I was thinking of other posts I've seen and a few comments in conversation!
    Last edited by NeilCr; 15-04-2018 at 1:49 PM.
    • robin58
    • By robin58 15th Apr 18, 4:01 PM
    • 2,246 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    robin58
    At the moment checkout staff ask all MW customers "do you want a coffee", so they will now have to stop, in case the customer hasn't got a cup! Even if you've just spent £100!
    Originally posted by roddydogs
    You don't have a retailers mind do you. They will offer to sell you a £3 Waitrose own brand usable cup.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,649Posts Today

8,038Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: Pls help stop people who are suicidal being harassed by creditors. People in hospital due to anxiety, depression & more?

• RT @peterkmartin: Thanks @MartinSLewis after hearing you advise many times to switch energy providers, I finally got my finger out and have?

• I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• Follow Martin