MSE News: Waitrose to get rid of disposable cups - if you're a MyWaitrose customer, you'll need to b

Comments

• calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,822 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Mee wrote: »
    BTW, when I was at one of the large Waitose stores last week, I heard a mature partner complain about her wages in comparison to her son's. She had worked at the store for nearly a decade, and her son had recently started in a similar role at Morrisons and was earning more!

Waitrose pay is performance related and they also get annual bonus depending on how well the the company has done.

I only go for a quick mosey around and the staff have gone beyond being helpful. Such as the time I was carrying a few items and a member of staff saw me and asked if I wanted a basket.

Also that member of staff was being very unprofessional talking about that where members of the public can hear. If I had heard her saying that. I would have said to her go and work for Morrisons then.

Yours

Calley X
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Like most freebies, after a while people seem to feel they are entitled.
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I dont see how this will work, as you had to get your cup at the check out, or show you card to get the cup to prove you had made a purchase. Now with everyone bringing their own cup, how will they check this. ( Yes I do know you could get e coffee like this anyway)
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    This ^^^^

Even if you show your card to a partner by the coffee points - they would have to scan it to stop you going in multiple times (or multiple branches - in Central London I could hit three in a day if I could be bothered). So the cost of that extra partner would have to be accounted for. On top of the current losses to the double-cuppers (person who gets a cup from the till and also produces their own so they have a second coffee for their pal) and double-baggers (one teabag in the cup and one in the pocket).

I think it's a PR exercise for the benefit of some of their customer base.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Yorkshire_Pud
    Yorkshire_Pud Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    edited 11 April 2018 at 10:07AM
    roddydogs wrote: »
    I dont see how this will work, as you had to get your cup at the check out, or show you card to get the cup to prove you had made a purchase. Now with everyone bringing their own cup, how will they check this. ( Yes I do know you could get e coffee like this anyway)

You probably have to buy a special 100% plastic Waitrose identifiable reusable cup for £20. That you leave at home and have to buy another, and another. More plastic. Could use the plastic charity token in a slot on the drinks machine instead of in the plastic charity box. Then scrap the scheme eventually anyway because "our customers no longer (can be bothered) want it". Lots of redundant plastic reusable Waitrose cups in the world. People with arthritis struggling to screw the lid on holding the queue up.

I'd like to bring a ceramic 'open top' mug for my free coffee. Will I be rugby tackled to the ground by the 'new' sour faced security guards that have been installed:eek:
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    calleyw wrote: »
    Waitrose pay is performance related and they also get annual bonus depending on how well the the company has done.

Yes, I am aware of that and I assume she is too.
    I only go for a quick mosey around and the staff have gone beyond being helpful. Such as the time I was carrying a few items and a member of staff saw me and asked if I wanted a basket.
    I agree, but I have also experienced that in M&S and Tesco and Asda. Perhaps that is what they do well is as you say going the extra mile...
    Also that member of staff was being very unprofessional talking about that where members of the public can hear. If I had heard her saying that. I would have said to her go and work for Morrisons then.

I agree, but to be fair to her and her colleague, they tried to move away from where I was - I loitered to earwig...
    Free thinker.:cool:
  • Mee
    Mee Posts: 1,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    NBLondon wrote: »
    This ^^^^

Even if you show your card to a partner by the coffee points - they would have to scan it to stop you going in multiple times (or multiple branches - in Central London I could hit three in a day if I could be bothered). So the cost of that extra partner would have to be accounted for. On top of the current losses to the double-cuppers (person who gets a cup from the till and also produces their own so they have a second coffee for their pal) and double-baggers (one teabag in the cup and one in the pocket).

I think it's a PR exercise for the benefit of some of their customer base.
    :rotfl:

The things I've observed people doing of all ages, genders etc, and its more than double-cupping/bagging - they won't stop at 'another for the road', but stuff their pockets/bags with handfuls of tea bags, sachets, spoons, teapot, chip holders etc.

Free thinker.:cool:
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    You probably have to buy a special 100% plastic Waitrose identifiable reusable cup for £20. That you leave at home and have to buy another, and another. More plastic. Could use the plastic charity token in a slot on the drinks machine instead of in the plastic charity box. Then scrap the scheme eventually anyway because "our customers no longer (can be bothered) want it". Lots of redundant plastic reusable Waitrose cups in the world. People with arthritis struggling to screw the lid on holding the queue up.

I'd like to bring a ceramic 'open top' mug for my free coffee. Will I be rugby tackled to the ground by the 'new' sour faced security guards that have been installed:eek:

No, because no one stands by the macine checkin if theyve got a Waitrose cup, you could easily get a free coffe with any cup!
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Mee wrote: »

The things I've observed people doing of all ages, genders etc, and its more than double-cupping/bagging - they won't stop at 'another for the road', but stuff their pockets/bags with handfuls of tea bags, sachets, spoons, teapot, chip holders etc.

Not at one of my local Waitrose. If you want tea you get a sealed one cup Duchy tea bag at the till when you pay. Strangely this procedure was introduced because of customers pocketing extra tea bags. And this is the part of town with money.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • POPPYOSCAR
    POPPYOSCAR Posts: 14,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    roddydogs wrote: »
    No, because no one stands by the macine checkin if theyve got a Waitrose cup, you could easily get a free coffe with any cup!

Not in our one.

The machine is right next to the customer service desk.

I am another one who has difficulty seeing how this is going to work.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure