Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 10th Apr 18, 12:47 PM
    • 243Posts
    • 85Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    Buying a brand new van, tips?
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:47 PM
    Buying a brand new van, tips? 10th Apr 18 at 12:47 PM
    Want to buy a brand new van, maybe like the vauxhall vivaro - they seem to be about 17k new? is that right? I have no ideas on buying vehicles or how to get a good deal. Going to walk down to the vauxhall dealership today because they must be trusted right? Any tips?

The plan is to get a new van so me and the mrs can stay in the back overnight when travelling around the UK - 1 or 2 nights max etc. Dont want 2nd hand since we will just get scammed based on having no clue.
Page 2
    • fred990
    • By fred990 10th Apr 18, 8:52 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    fred990
    If you want my advice - don't do it, it's very addictive!
    I wandered into a VW dealer, looked at a very blingy two month old lwb T5 and came out 26k lighter. Have had it for four years and only use it in the summer for exactly the reason you're looking and it's brilliant. Basic yes but you can make it very cosy/comfortable and then use it as a 'van' later. Best toy/gadget ever and can't imagine being without it.
    Beats twice the money on a camper. If the car goes bang I'd happily use it as the replacement.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Apr 18, 5:43 AM
    • 33,359 Posts
    • 28,236 Thanks
    custardy
    Thinking about it. Have you run the numbers as to how many nights a year vs simply hiring a camper?
    How many nights/trips a year are we actually talking here?
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 11th Apr 18, 11:54 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    If you want my advice - don't do it, it's very addictive!
    I wandered into a VW dealer, looked at a very blingy two month old lwb T5 and came out 26k lighter. Have had it for four years and only use it in the summer for exactly the reason you're looking and it's brilliant. Basic yes but you can make it very cosy/comfortable and then use it as a 'van' later. Best toy/gadget ever and can't imagine being without it.
    Beats twice the money on a camper. If the car goes bang I'd happily use it as the replacement.
    Originally posted by fred990
    Cool, so you would use it as your everyday vehicle long term? how is the cost of travel?
    Last edited by PokerPlayer111; 11-04-2018 at 11:58 AM.
    • PokerPlayer111
    • By PokerPlayer111 11th Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    PokerPlayer111
    Thinking about it. Have you run the numbers as to how many nights a year vs simply hiring a camper?
    How many nights/trips a year are we actually talking here?
    Originally posted by custardy
    I want to travel around the UK a bit, not seen much of it tbh, i like the coast. Could be 2 -3 trips a month anytime its not too cold, 1-2 nights each time. The cost of this type of thing adds up but not sure if i can justify a new van and dont know how to go about buying a 2nd hand one.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 11th Apr 18, 12:03 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    bigisi
    I want to travel around the UK a bit, not seen much of it tbh, i like the coast. Could be 2 -3 trips a month anytime its not too cold, 1-2 nights each time. The cost of this type of thing adds up but not sure if i can justify a new van and dont know how to go about buying a 2nd hand one.
    Originally posted by PokerPlayer111
    Go to dealer/private seller. Look over van, documents etc. Test drive. If happy do the deal.

It's really not difficult.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Apr 18, 1:10 PM
    • 33,359 Posts
    • 28,236 Thanks
    custardy
    Originally posted by PokerPlayer111
    Same way millions of people do.
    You think everyone buying a car knows how to strip it down?
    Go to reputable dealers,dont go cheap.
    Ask here for advice if you want. You can also pay for an independent inspection from the likes of the AA.
    Limiting yourself to new means you could be missing out on your ideal vehicle vs making do with a van.
    • fred990
    • By fred990 11th Apr 18, 1:56 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    fred990
    Indeed, may have to consider parking space length (not a problem with the swb version). Otherwise it's very economical for what it is. 2.0l tdi, 6 spd man and without loads of weight and just driving with the flow I regularly see mid 40's mpg after about twenty mins driving.
    Dunno about short trips though, if you get above 60 or so for a while the drag does reduce mpg. For relaxed not in a hurry type driving it's great. The mpg computer seems to be accurate ish based on what I put in it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

2,344Users online

Martin's Twitter