Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Franky0707
    • By Franky0707 10th Apr 18, 12:35 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Franky0707
    Sale Misrepresentation/Breach of Contract
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:35 PM
    Sale Misrepresentation/Breach of Contract 10th Apr 18 at 12:35 PM
    I entered into a mobile phone contract on November 24th, 2017.
    I have not been able to get mobile data, internet or telephone signal from the very start of the contract at my place of work.

Despite complaining, Carphone Warehouse have dismissed me and denied liability.

I contacted my credit card provider, HSBC, using a Section 75 complaint; they refunded me my deposit.

The Communications Ombudsman have said that I should complain through the Financial Ombudsman and vice versa. This has been extremely frustrating and unhelpful.

After contacting the network provider, O2, they have told me that a mast near my place of work broke on the day of my phone purchase and so claimed Carphone Warehouse were liable and are in breach of contract because they should have told me about the mast.

I feel that the contract was misrepresented to me because had I known about the mast being broken for the indefinite future then I would not have taken out the contract. I was also not told about the mast when I collected my phone when it was ready to collect on 1st December 2017.

I also feel that Carphone Warehouse/O2 has breached the contract because they are not providing the service that I am paying for.

Who is liable and what are my rights?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 10th Apr 18, 12:40 PM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 8,828 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:40 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:40 PM
    I entered into a mobile phone contract on November 24th, 2017.
    I have not been able to get mobile data, internet or telephone signal from the very start of the contract at my place of work.

Despite complaining, Carphone Warehouse have dismissed me and denied liability.

I contacted my credit card provider, HSBC, using a Section 75 complaint; they refunded me my deposit.

The Communications Ombudsman have said that I should complain through the Financial Ombudsman and vice versa. This has been extremely frustrating and unhelpful.

After contacting the network provider, O2, they have told me that a mast near my place of work broke on the day of my phone purchase and so claimed Carphone Warehouse were liable and are in breach of contract because they should have told me about the mast.

I feel that the contract was misrepresented to me because had I known about the mast being broken for the indefinite future then I would not have taken out the contract. I was also not told about the mast when I collected my phone when it was ready to collect on 1st December 2017.

I also feel that Carphone Warehouse/O2 has breached the contract because they are not providing the service that I am paying for.

Who is liable and what are my rights?

Thanks.
    Originally posted by Franky0707
    First thing I would ask is what address is on the contract? Is it the work address where you are having issues, or is it your residential one?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydion ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.

• bris
    • By bris 10th Apr 18, 12:41 PM
    • 7,904 Posts
    • 6,882 Thanks
    bris
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:41 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:41 PM
    Is the mobile registered at your works address? Is it a business contract?
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 10th Apr 18, 1:44 PM
    • 2,856 Posts
    • 2,830 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:44 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:44 PM
    I don't think you can expect Carphone Warehouse to research details of the status of telecoms towers every time someone takes out a contract.

It is really your responsibility to check that before choosing a network.

I think with Carphone Warehouse and O2 you get a 14 day period to cancel the contract or change network. If you are past the 14 day period I don't think there is anything you can do.

For your information, O2 and Vodafone have essentially the same network. There are effectively only 2 mobile infrastructure networks in the UK now - the only other network you can try in the UK is the EE/3 network - so try EE or 3 or a provider operating on EE/3's network.

If the mast went down in December surely it would have been fixed by now. But check on Try https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/self-help-guide-for-network-problems.
    Last edited by steampowered; 10-04-2018 at 1:49 PM.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 10th Apr 18, 2:14 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 10th Apr 18, 2:14 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 2:14 PM
    If the mast went down in December surely it would have been fixed by now. But check on Try https://www.o2.co.uk/help/network-coverage-and-international/self-help-guide-for-network-problems.
    Originally posted by steampowered
    My closest mast has been faulty since (at least) last July. Every fortnight we get an update saying they've discovered the fault - they need more time - an engineer is attending - and the loop begins again.

I don't use voice calls so it's fine for me, and I complain each month and get my line rental refunded. Others are obviously very unhappy though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,153Users online

Martin's Twitter