Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jennywren113
    • By Jennywren113 10th Apr 18, 11:49 AM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jennywren113
    Capital One Cheque Error?
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:49 AM
    Capital One Cheque Error? 10th Apr 18 at 11:49 AM
    HI,
    Hopefully someone can offer some advice.
    My husband submitted a Capital One Credit card PPI claim 3 years ago which was rejected, he then went to the ombudsman 2.5 years ago. The mis-selling claim was rejected but they kept the issue live as waiting for the Plevin results.
    Anyway to cut a long story short. Capital One offered 94.01 under the plevin ruling and sent the cheque last week. Husband paid it in and waited for it to clear, it's cleared today but it was a deposit of 654 rather than 94.01.
    The bank say the amount is correct and they have paid the correct amount in.
    However the cheque definitely said 94.01 in the amount box and he letter.
    Is it possible that the cheque has a different amount printed somewhere (barcodes or bits at the bottom) .
    Reluctant to contact Capital One as they are terrible to talk to on the phone. Is that the only course of action. Will they come back and automatically take the money? Or do we have to tell them?
    Our bank is convinced it's not their mistake.
    Any advice welcome. Thanks
Page 1
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 10th Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    • 4,316 Posts
    • 2,531 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    They issue a check for 94.01 and 654 is taken from them, they will pick it up eventually and come for the money. Sensible thing is to ring them and inform them of the mistake so you don't get a bill for the balance somewhere down the line. Put the extra cash in a different account and don't touch it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,185Posts Today

8,490Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin