Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HollyH2612
    • By HollyH2612 10th Apr 18, 11:27 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    HollyH2612
    Parking
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:27 AM
    Parking 10th Apr 18 at 11:27 AM
    Hi, I am purchasing a property which has on street parking for one car but the road can be quite busy, so we aren't too keen on parking on the road.

The current tenants park in a car park in a woodland area which is owned by the town council and is just opposite the property.

The town council won't allocate us any of the car park or sell some of the car park.

As we can only park one car outside the house on the road, do we have any rights in getting parking spaces allocated to us?

Thanks,
    Holly
Page 2
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 10th Apr 18, 11:50 PM
    • 6,677 Posts
    • 17,913 Thanks
    EachPenny
    No, unless you apply for a disabled space.
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy
    And even disabled spaces aren't personal, they can be occupied by anybody displaying a blue badge.
    Originally posted by davidmcn
    Very rarely some Councils might be persuaded to provide a parking bay dedicated to a single resident with a blue badge who is unable to have a normal blue badge bay because other blue badge holders would park there (e.g. in town centres). When that happens the bay is usually set up as a resident permit bay using a zone identifier for which only a single permit issued.

But the chances of the OP being able to get one of these is almost certainly zero, unless there is more information we've not yet been given.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • TheBanker
    • By TheBanker 11th Apr 18, 5:21 AM
    • 626 Posts
    • 1,569 Thanks
    TheBanker
    I used to live in a lovely terrace house. I say lovely house, but parking was a nightmare. Sometimes had to park 2 or 3 streets away. Got very good at parallel parking into the tightest space when I lived there.

Sometimes our bins did not get emptied as the wagon could not get through if people double parked at the bottom of the road.

I also remember one of my neighbours having a problem when his car failed its MOT. This meant he couldn't renew the road tax (this was in the days of tax disks). He couldn't afford the repairs straight away but couldn't SORN the car because he had nowhere off the road to keep it.

I'm afraid I'd never buy a house without a driveway in future based on this experience. It's not just parking but as another poster said, washing the car can be awkward as can carrying out minor maintenance tasks.

I do believe your insurance will cost more if you have to declare that the car is kept on the street, too.
    Make 10 a day challenge: Jan-18: 330 / 400
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 11th Apr 18, 11:14 AM
    • 6,791 Posts
    • 8,889 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    I think insurance is more for on-street parking than for of street parking in the same street, but it's only one of the factors.

OP, ultimately you have to decide whether having dedicated parking is a 'must have' for you. If it is, don't buy this property.

If it isn't, go ahead, but recognise that you may not necessarily be able to park outside your own house, or even close to it.
    • Rambosmum
    • By Rambosmum 11th Apr 18, 12:50 PM
    • 1,858 Posts
    • 2,360 Thanks
    Rambosmum
    Please remember that on a pubic road the space outside you house isn't 'your' space and can be legally parked in by anyone, your neighbours, their visitors, work me, general public (unless it's permit holders only, even then it's still not 'your' space).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,396Posts Today

5,063Users online

Martin's Twitter