Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HollyH2612
    • By HollyH2612 10th Apr 18, 11:27 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    HollyH2612
    Parking
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:27 AM
    Parking 10th Apr 18 at 11:27 AM
    Hi, I am purchasing a property which has on street parking for one car but the road can be quite busy, so we aren't too keen on parking on the road.

The current tenants park in a car park in a woodland area which is owned by the town council and is just opposite the property.

The town council won't allocate us any of the car park or sell some of the car park.

As we can only park one car outside the house on the road, do we have any rights in getting parking spaces allocated to us?

Thanks,
    Holly
Page 1
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 10th Apr 18, 11:28 AM
    • 1,034 Posts
    • 510 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:28 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:28 AM
    No, unless you apply for a disabled space.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Apr 18, 11:31 AM
    • 7,667 Posts
    • 7,810 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:31 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:31 AM
    No, unless you apply for a disabled space.
    Originally posted by paddyandstumpy
    And even disabled spaces aren't personal, they can be occupied by anybody displaying a blue badge.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 10th Apr 18, 11:36 AM
    • 4,365 Posts
    • 6,245 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:36 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:36 AM
    If you aren't too keen on parking in the road don't buy the house. This is a house with on street parking only. If you don't want to park in the road then you need to buy one with off street parking.
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    • 44,105 Posts
    • 52,277 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    As we can only park one car outside the house on the road, do we have any rights in getting parking spaces allocated to us?
    Originally posted by HollyH2612
    That would depend entirely on the council's policy regarding the car park.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    • 7,667 Posts
    • 7,810 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    Assuming you mean what appears to be a public car park, it would be rather odd for the council to start allocating spaces - unless they already appear to be doing that?
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 10th Apr 18, 12:34 PM
    • 198 Posts
    • 358 Thanks
    bigisi
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:34 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:34 PM
    Why are you buying this property if the parking situation doesn't fit what you want?
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Apr 18, 12:59 PM
    • 15,623 Posts
    • 43,356 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:59 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:59 PM
    No.........................

Am betting "car park in woodland area" translates into = it's a woodland....ie woodland....woodland and any carparking anyone is doing there is not being done "officially".
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 10-04-2018 at 1:02 PM.
    Like Frankie said - I did it my way.
    It's MY life......
    • mrginge
    • By mrginge 10th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 4,449 Posts
    • 8,208 Thanks
    mrginge
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    The current tenants park in a car park dogging site in a woodland area which is owned by the town council and is just opposite the property.
    I fixed that for you.

Have a nice time in your new home!
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 10th Apr 18, 1:26 PM
    • 25,057 Posts
    • 92,620 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Perhaps you are thinking of residents' parking schemes.

If there is one, you'd know because it would be signed on the street furniture.

As there isn't, it's quite unlikely that the council will start one just when you want it.
    'It's a terrible thing to wait until you're ready…..Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.' Hugh Lawrie.
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 10th Apr 18, 1:32 PM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 3,414 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey

Thanks,
    Holly
    Highly unlikely.

FTB by any chance?
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • EmmyLou30
    • By EmmyLou30 10th Apr 18, 1:33 PM
    • 407 Posts
    • 509 Thanks
    EmmyLou30
    I'd be surprised if the house had on street parking for one car that you could reliably call your own - it's a street, a free for all presumably? You could very easily come home to find a neighbours visitor parked there. Councils will often charge an annual fee for using their car park as your own but still won't allocate you a personal space.

I think you need to give up on this one as a non starter and put 'driveway for 2 cars' top of your list even if that means moving a bit further out of town or to a smaller house. Some will say it's a daft thing to be so bothered about but I know when I bought a house it was top of my list. I just know I couldn't sleep at night worrying about my precious car on a street somewhere, or deal with the stress of coming home every night and not knowing how far from my front door I may have to park, and not being able to wash and hoover my car properly. But that's my problem and so I bought the right house to suit my needs.
    • ExNicotineQueen
    • By ExNicotineQueen 10th Apr 18, 2:23 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    ExNicotineQueen
    I'd be surprised if the house had on street parking for one car that you could reliably call your own - it's a street, a free for all presumably? You could very easily come home to find a neighbours visitor parked there. Councils will often charge an annual fee for using their car park as your own but still won't allocate you a personal space.

I think you need to give up on this one as a non starter and put 'driveway for 2 cars' top of your list even if that means moving a bit further out of town or to a smaller house. Some will say it's a daft thing to be so bothered about but I know when I bought a house it was top of my list. I just know I couldn't sleep at night worrying about my precious car on a street somewhere, or deal with the stress of coming home every night and not knowing how far from my front door I may have to park, and not being able to wash and hoover my car properly. But that's my problem and so I bought the right house to suit my needs.
    Originally posted by EmmyLou30

This times a hundred. Not to mention if you had young children / or had done the weekly food shop / it was raining heavily and you have to walk a fair distance etc.

Don't forget that all it takes is for a new set of neighbours to move in and if they have 3 or 4 cars between them and there are no allocated spaces, that means it's a free for all........

The amount of houses I've viewed which would have been perfect in every other way - except there was no driveway or able to get one put in is crazy. But if it's a non-negotiable need, then you just have to keep searching.

Can the property have a driveway put in?
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 10th Apr 18, 2:34 PM
    • 7,667 Posts
    • 7,810 Thanks
    davidmcn
    Can the property have a driveway put in?
    Originally posted by ExNicotineQueen
    The fact that the on-street parking is (almost) full suggests they'd be unlikely to get consent for a driveway, even if that were otherwise feasible.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 10th Apr 18, 3:44 PM
    • 6,487 Posts
    • 8,418 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    OP, there is no right to parking, so the only way you can guarantee parking is if you buy a house with it's own off-street parking, or if you buy or rent a separate garage or parking space.

So if this is a priority for you, then you probably need to look for a different property which has its own parking.

The situation is not likely to change for the better so the issue is whether you still want the house without parking, and knowing that you may not always be able to park outside or near. *and if the council car park is a pay and display, look into whether they sell season tickets and what they cost, and if it isn't, bear in mind that it might become one, or that the site may be sold for development in future.
    • smem18
    • By smem18 10th Apr 18, 5:20 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    smem18
    The number of stories I have heard from people who have fallen out with neighbors over street parking. Lots of families have more than one car now, sometimes three or four if the kids are still living at home, so it can be really difficult to find parking on the street. A driveway is absolute number one on my list of "non-negotiables" when I buy my future house (right now I have a flat with an allocated space). Seriously consider whether you want this house, because a lot of buyers will get put off in the future because it doesn't have allocated parking
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 10th Apr 18, 6:01 PM
    • 15,723 Posts
    • 21,596 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    If parking bothers you in the slightest, then NEVER buy a property without sufficient allocated parking.

Unless you own a parking space, then you have NO right to park a car.

And don't forget that even if there is street parking, that might not always be the case.

In some cities where people park on the pavements on both sides of the street, then councils could easily ban this and half the amount of parking.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 10th Apr 18, 8:31 PM
    • 3,302 Posts
    • 3,534 Thanks
    cjdavies
    You have 2 issues:

1. You don't have a parking space for 1 car outside the house, anyone can park there.7

2. The unofficial car park can be taken away anytime.

Not somewhere I would buy, I would buy a house with a shower and no bath (even if no room to buy one) but parking is number 1 priority.
    • Robby1988
    • By Robby1988 10th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Robby1988
    We have a terraced house (being all we could afford in our desired area) and we searched for ages to find one which had a private parking facility around the back. Would not have bought one that didn't, relying on street parking is just a recipe for stress in my opinion. Who really wants to be messing about doing a parallel park into a space 100 yards from your front door in the pouring rain after a bad day at work and/or with a load of shopping bags to carry. You'll also waste time in your life getting worked up over neighbours parking in 'your spot'.

OP - keep looking.
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 10th Apr 18, 11:41 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 607 Thanks
    Mnd
    I wouldn't get past first look if a house didn't have 2 parking spaces. My first house didn't and it was a nightmare
    Last edited by Mnd; 11-04-2018 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,469Posts Today

7,129Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin