Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Charlton King
    • By Charlton King 10th Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    • 1,548Posts
    • 1,044Thanks
    Charlton King
    BT 'Call Protect'
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:20 AM
    BT 'Call Protect' 10th Apr 18 at 11:20 AM
    Just rang BT in connection with calls we received today and signed up for this feature. I'd never heard of it before but as it's free of charge I couldn't see what harm it could do.

They claim to be able to block even those numbers which are made on a 'withheld' basis.

Has anybody any experience of it?
Page 1
    • kpwll
    • By kpwll 10th Apr 18, 3:17 PM
    • 1,941 Posts
    • 5,205 Thanks
    kpwll
    • 10th Apr 18, 3:17 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 3:17 PM
    I've had it for a few months, never tried blocking a withheld number, but with all those scammy/cold call phone calls, I just dial 1572 and they are blocked.

As it doesn't cost anything it's worth trying.
    • MarkFromCornwall
    • By MarkFromCornwall 10th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 756 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    MarkFromCornwall
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    They claim to be able to block even those numbers which are made on a 'withheld' basis.
    Originally posted by Charlton King
    The option is to block all calls from callers who are withholding their number, not from a specific caller who is withholding his number.
    It's not my fault that nothing works: the bank suggested I install Trusteer Rapport.
    • chrisw
    • By chrisw 10th Apr 18, 10:26 PM
    • 1,692 Posts
    • 931 Thanks
    chrisw
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:26 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:26 PM
    The downside with blocking all withheld numbers is that places like hospitals and doctors tend to use them so not so good if you're expecting a call from them.

Although presumably blocking withheld numbers can be turned off if needs be.
    • JamoLew
    • By JamoLew 11th Apr 18, 6:57 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    JamoLew
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:57 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 6:57 AM
    Hospital switchboards can remove the number withheld feature if required, which then stops the call getting blocked. Not sure about other organisations
    Last edited by JamoLew; 11-04-2018 at 7:02 AM.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 11th Apr 18, 8:24 AM
    • 1,056 Posts
    • 632 Thanks
    datostar
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:24 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:24 AM
    If you access BT Call Protect via the website you can examine recently received calls. Withheld numbers appear there with a time and can be individually blocked without affecting other withheld calls you wish to let through. This is distinct from the global setting to block all withheld calls. I've done it several times. You have far more control over the system by using the website rather than dialling 1572. I'm very pleased with it.
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 11th Apr 18, 10:13 AM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    firefox1956
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:13 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 10:13 AM
    We have used it for just over a year now.
    Works well but has its limitations.
    Manage it online is the best way to use it I find.
    Only thing is if you have to allow international calls the scammers get to you by using an international prefix.
    However you can go online & block that particular number but the scammers then start to alter the last digit & then get through....but only once !!
    We have had over 300 calls sent to Junk Mail by Call Protect in the last year.
    HTH
    Last edited by firefox1956; 11-04-2018 at 10:17 AM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Apr 18, 11:15 AM
    • 10,449 Posts
    • 4,395 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:15 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:15 AM
    I use along with a BT8500 call blocking phone .
    • Sallybg
    • By Sallybg 17th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sallybg
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    • 17th Apr 18, 2:39 PM
    I'm wondering about this for my untechy mum.
    Do you have to have a normal voicemail set up (she doesn't have one and I don't think she'd want one) or can you just send nuisance calls to junk (which she never needs to check)?
    Can you choose between blocking international and blocking withheld or unrecognised or do you have to block all three?

Thanks!
    • Lambyr
    • By Lambyr 17th Apr 18, 2:52 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 1,672 Thanks
    Lambyr
    Our home phone (BT8600) comes with a very similar feature. I've found that it has significantly reduced the number of junk calls. After a few weeks, junk calls tailed off and now we hardly ever get any calls.

However, there are a couple of quirks. I've noticed that often important calls from hospitals, local councils, etc. come via withheld numbers. Therefore, rather than block withheld numbers, we've forced them to announce who they are before they get put through.

Some people who announce themselves then won't stay on the line long enough to let you give the OK. Perhaps they don't realise that it's only after they've said who they are and why they're calling that the phone rings on my end, so I still have to get to it and listen to the message? Either way it might cause some issues.

We also found that some relatives, mostly older relatives, have been hanging up - presumably because they're getting a bit confused by the process.

But - those things aside - I'd rather have that mild inconvenience of having to call people back than the inconvenience of several pointless calls per day. I've yet to find one scammer, spam caller or other nuisance call who has gone to the trouble of announcing themselves, so the phone never rings for them.
    She would always like to say,
    Why change the past when you can own this day?
    • missile
    • By missile 17th Apr 18, 6:49 PM
    • 9,443 Posts
    • 4,698 Thanks
    missile
    HMRC use number withheld too
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 18th Apr 18, 1:27 PM
    • 2,683 Posts
    • 1,553 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Rather than block withheld numbers, we've forced them to announce who they are before they get put through.

Some people who announce themselves then won't stay on the line long enough to let you give the OK. Perhaps they don't realise that it's only after they've said who they are and why they're calling that the phone rings on my end.
    Originally posted by Lambyr
    You can change the "Announce Message" (at least on our version of the Call Blocker phone) to tell callers that they have to wait.

We also found that some relatives, mostly older relatives, have been hanging up - presumably because they're getting a bit confused by the process.
    Originally posted by Lambyr
    Just make sure you put all your relatives (old and young) and friends in your phone book and they'll get straight through.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,980Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin