Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lollyandglenn
    • By lollyandglenn 10th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    lollyandglenn
    Car diagnostic Testing
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    Car diagnostic Testing 10th Apr 18 at 11:16 AM
    Could some of you car experts please resolve a niggling doubt my wife and I have?

Over the bank holiday weekend we were driving up north on the Thursday evening and we broke down on the motorway. Lost almost all power and went into what I later discovered was “limp mode”. After a long wait on the hard shoulder in the rain and freezing cold we were towed to our hotel.

I tried a few garages the next day but all were closed for Easter so in desperation I called a mobile auto electrical guy. After looking at the car he said the alternator was finished and it would cost £500 to replace. Not having much choice we agreed, anyway after fitting it he informed us that when the alternator failed the current spiked and fried the ECU or electronic control unit. This he informed us would cost around £1000 to fix with no guarantee it would work. The car was probably worth £3000 prior to this and as we had already forked our £500 for the alternator it didn’t seem worth repairing.

He told us he knew someone who would take it off our hands for scrap for £500. We didn’t feel we had a choice so after paying him for the work fitting the alternator we effectively gave away our £3000 car.

Wouldn’t the diagnostics have flagged up the damaged ECU? He claimed he had no way of knowing the ECU was fried until he fitted the alternator.

This whole episode has cost us thousands after buying a new car, extending our hotel stay, buying train tickets back home and renting a replacement for a week. Neither of us can banish the lingering doubt that we have been scammed.

Please help us get a good nights sleep
Page 1
    • macman
    • By macman 10th Apr 18, 11:50 AM
    • 41,889 Posts
    • 17,377 Thanks
    macman
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:50 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:50 AM
    Make, model, year, mileage?
    What happened to the brand new alternator-it presumably didn't go to the scrapyard?
    Last edited by macman; 10-04-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • lollyandglenn
    • By lollyandglenn 10th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lollyandglenn
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:56 AM
    Peugeot 308, 2011, 60k on the clock. The new alternator stayed with the car. Probably stupid of us, I asked if his mate could do more with the price but he said he was taking all the risk trying to repair it or having to strip it down.
    • wwpaddler
    • By wwpaddler 10th Apr 18, 12:46 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    wwpaddler
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:46 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:46 PM
    Alternator sounds expensive - may have been charged extra for working over Easter weekend.

Not long ago we had an ECU problem on our 207SW 2011. We were without the car for nearly 2 weeks as the cheapest option was to send the ECU away to be fettled (£350), think a refurbished ECU was £600 and a new one was £1000.

Think you would have been better being a bit more patient and waiting for a local garage to open, using a hire car / taxis locally on your holiday, going home on the train then going back for your car when it was fixed.

Don't understand why a £1500 repair bill would make you scrap a £3000 car.

If he offered you £500 to scrap it he hasn't scrapped it - he's fixed it and sold it on but £500 is probably a fairish price for a non running car.

Don't think you've been scammed but I do think you've been taken advantage of.
    Last edited by wwpaddler; 10-04-2018 at 12:55 PM.
    • lollyandglenn
    • By lollyandglenn 10th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lollyandglenn
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:56 PM
    Unfortunately we had to be back at work down south on Tuesday morning and had nowhere to leave the car. What I really don!!!8217;t understand is the diagnostic scan not picking up the ECU was fried, is that likely?
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 10th Apr 18, 12:59 PM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 7,351 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:59 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:59 PM
    Whatever has happened, it's done with. No real proof of anything untoward. Put it behind you and move on would be my advice.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Apr 18, 1:12 PM
    • 17,358 Posts
    • 15,700 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:12 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:12 PM
    c. £3k car. £500 paid. £1k bill to go... Sold for £500.
    Now, I dunno if it's me, but that's really not adding up.

What did your breakdown company say when you called them?

An alternator for a 308 (assuming diesel) is around £200 for the parts. £300 of labour to change it? Very high... And he could certainly have tested the ECU beforehand - just put a charged battery on it, so that it'll start and run. Or not.

If the ECU really was dead, then - no - diagnostics wouldn't have said much, because you're asking the ECU for the codes for what it thinks is wrong.
    • lollyandglenn
    • By lollyandglenn 10th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lollyandglenn
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:22 PM
    There was a £65 callout and he was there over 2 hours waiting for the part and replacing it...on a good Friday

We didn!!!8217;t want to shell out another 1k on top of the £500...he did say there was no guarantee that would be the end of it. Breakdown cover would have got us home via a 6 hour trip in the cab of their truck.

If he couldn!!!8217;t have known the ECU was frazzled from the diagnostic scan then that!!!8217;s put my mind at rest. Thank you very much for that.

Didn!!!8217;t want to feel like I had been ripped off as neither of us know anything about cars.
    • lollyandglenn
    • By lollyandglenn 10th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lollyandglenn
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:25 PM
    What is it with these !!!!8217; every time I use an apostrophe by the way
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 10th Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    • 17,358 Posts
    • 15,700 Thanks
    AdrianC
    What is it with these !!!!8217; every time I use an apostrophe by the way
    Originally posted by lollyandglenn
    It's your device introducing "smart" punctuation instead of the usual character set. Turn it off on your device.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5788856
    • lollyandglenn
    • By lollyandglenn 10th Apr 18, 1:42 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lollyandglenn
    I see. Have disabled it now. New here so apologies and thanks to all for your input.

I shall sleep soundly tonight.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

28Posts Today

2,712Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin