Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • alanta99
    • By alanta99 10th Apr 18, 11:14 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    alanta99
    Unclimed PPI for deceased
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:14 AM
    Unclimed PPI for deceased 10th Apr 18 at 11:14 AM
    My mother-in-law died about 10 years ago. She had a large credit card debt and she had PPI. However, for reasons best know only to him, my father-in-law paid off the debt and didn't claim on the PPI policy. I know I (or my father-in-law, who is is still alive) should now try an claim something back but am not sure if it should be the mis-sold PPI or the balance that was paid off after she died. I'm then not sure what process to follow.
    Van someone please suggest a way forward.
    Thanks.
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Apr 18, 11:32 AM
    • 92,172 Posts
    • 59,339 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:32 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:32 AM
    However, for reasons best know only to him, my father-in-law paid off the debt and didn't claim on the PPI policy.
    Most PPi does not cover death.

I know I (or my father-in-law, who is is still alive) should now try an claim something back but am not sure if it should be the mis-sold PPI or the balance that was paid off after she died.
    Why do you think your mother in laws debt shouldnt have been paid?
    Did she not have any single or joint assets at point of death?

The debt would have formed part of her estate and should be settled from the assets in the estate
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • alanta99
    • By alanta99 10th Apr 18, 12:15 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alanta99
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:15 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:15 PM
    Thanks for that. I thought PPI might have covered death. Anyway, she had no single assets, everything was joint and her share was all left to her husband. She worked in her fathers family business for years and was still working there at the time of death - although by that time her father had died and she was the major shareholder!!. Her salary would always have been paid and she certainly wouldn't have needed any PPI cover. Life cover maybe but not PPI. so it seems to me that we should now claim on that. Presumably just claim in the normal way but give full explanations of the circumstances? Many thanks.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 10th Apr 18, 12:25 PM
    • 92,172 Posts
    • 59,339 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:25 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:25 PM
    Anyway, she had no single assets, everything was joint and her share was all left to her husband.
    So, the debt was correctly repaid then.

although by that time her father had died and she was the major shareholder!!.
    So, she did have single assets then.

Presumably just claim in the normal way but give full explanations of the circumstances?
    The executor of the estate can raise the complaint and there appears to be good reason based on the factual position. There should be no reference to things that may or may not have been said as the executor was not present at any meetings. There is no need to make things up in the complaint with strong reasons existing already.

. I thought PPI might have covered death.
    Most didnt. Some did. So, it is possible but we cant tell.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    • 20,000 Posts
    • 10,981 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    I thought PPI might have covered death.
    Originally posted by alanta99
    You should, of course, check this wasn't the case with your Mother's PPI policy. It's unlikely though.

As Dunstonh says, though, you'll probably have a better result with a complaint that the PPI was mis-sold than you will trying to make a claim on the insurance ten years after your mother-in-law's death.

Just use the reasons you detailed in post #3 in your complaint. None of the rest is relevant.
    • alanta99
    • By alanta99 10th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    alanta99
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:53 PM
    Many thanks for the input. I will start the claim.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

417Posts Today

5,225Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin