Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Beaneywatts
    • By Beaneywatts 10th Apr 18, 10:21 AM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Beaneywatts
    Help to buy ISA closure and bonus
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:21 AM
    Help to buy ISA closure and bonus 10th Apr 18 at 10:21 AM
    Hello,

I wonder if someone could advise, I have a help to buy ISA with Halifax the last payment I make in a couple of weeks will enable me to qualify for the minimum bonus whe I close the account, however do you know if the balance needs to be in there for a certain amount of time before closing the account and claiming the bonus?

None of my paperwork seems to say that it does. From what I can see I could pay in my last 200 saving one day then close the account the following day and still claim the bonus?

Any experiences greatfully received,

Thanks!
Page 1
    • whatdoyouthink...
    • By whatdoyouthink... 10th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    whatdoyouthink...
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:38 AM
    I'd assume once you've got the minimum amount in the account to claim the bonus then you can close it...and claim
    • ashe
    • By ashe 10th Apr 18, 10:41 AM
    • 519 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    ashe
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:41 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:41 AM
    No minimum deposit term I am aware of
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 10th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    • 575 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    HampshireH
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    I think you need to be clearer;

Do you mean that by next month you will have deposited 1600 and therefore are eligible for the minimum bonus amount of 400?

Halifax don't appear to have any criteria on how long the money is there and I cannot see why they would.

However unless you are completing now your money will be there a few months anyway. Your solicitor claims the bonus upon completion of sale but you must request the closure of the account 30 days in advance to give the bank enough time to make the necessary arrangements.

Your query may be better on the Savings and Investments forum
    • diggingdude
    • By diggingdude 10th Apr 18, 11:10 PM
    • 124 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    diggingdude
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:10 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:10 PM
    only has to be there the minimum 3 months to get the 400 bonus provided you have paid in fully these 3 months to have the 1600. Friends of mine literally had money in less than the 3 full months and were able to withdraw and benefit
    House Deposit - Target 20000 April 2019
    Current Savings - 10225
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

805Posts Today

6,258Users online

Martin's Twitter