Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sheldon Cooper
    • By Sheldon Cooper 10th Apr 18, 10:10 AM
    • 128Posts
    • 197Thanks
    Sheldon Cooper
    0 WOW
    Hold baggage
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:10 AM
    0 WOW
    Hold baggage 10th Apr 18 at 10:10 AM
    I'm going to Italy: Out EasyJet, back BA.

As I'll be away for three weeks I've paid for a hold item in each case.

My question is: Can I voluntarily have my main cabin sized luggage (rucksack) placed in the hold, as there's no point in it taking up valuable space in the cabin?

That would just leave me with my camera bag (27 x 18 x 14 cm) as my small cabin item.

Just to be clear, there are three items: Large bag, rucksack, and camera bag.
Page 1
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 10th Apr 18, 10:39 AM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:39 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:39 AM
    My question is: Can I voluntarily have my main cabin sized luggage (rucksack) placed in the hold, as there's no point in it taking up valuable space in the cabin?
    Originally posted by Sheldon Cooper
    Or to put it another way, you want to put 2 pieces of luggage in the hold but pay for one? I think that's how they'd look at it.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 10th Apr 18, 10:40 AM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 2,028 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:40 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:40 AM
    In my experience, BA will be happy to check your carry-on at the check-in desk if you ask. As for easyJet, they have their 'hands-free' option where you can check your carry-on for a fee so I'm guessing they won't accept your carry-on free of charge. That said, they often ask for volunteers to check carry-on at the gate.

Note that easyJet only allows one carry-on item unless you've booked an upfront seat (or have easyJet Plus) so if you don't check your larger carry-on you will need to place your camera inside of it.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 10th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:17 AM

Note that easyJet only allows one carry-on item unless you've booked an upfront seat (or have easyJet Plus) so if you don't check your larger carry-on you will need to place your camera inside of it.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    I flew with them from Bristol a fortnight ago and they were allowing all passengers to take one main item and a smaller item such as a handbag or laptop bag in the cabin.
    • Sheldon Cooper
    • By Sheldon Cooper 10th Apr 18, 1:30 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    Sheldon Cooper
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:30 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:30 PM
    Or to put it another way, you want to put 2 pieces of luggage in the hold but pay for one? I think that's how they'd look at it.
    Originally posted by bertiewhite
    Only if they are really, really, stupid.

It's no problem to me to take it into the cabin.

I just thought it would be thoughtful and considerate to offer to have it put in the hold to leave more room in the overheads for others.

It's a sad indictment of some people that they cannot seem to understand the concept of someone doing something purely for the common good.
    • Sheldon Cooper
    • By Sheldon Cooper 10th Apr 18, 1:32 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    Sheldon Cooper
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:32 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:32 PM
    In my experience, BA will be happy to check your carry-on at the check-in desk if you ask. As for easyJet, they have their 'hands-free' option where you can check your carry-on for a fee so I'm guessing they won't accept your carry-on free of charge. That said, they often ask for volunteers to check carry-on at the gate.

I have paid for an upfront seat.

I'm not trying to get one over on anyone, just wanting to help with the restricted space in the overheads.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 10th Apr 18, 2:33 PM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 2,028 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 10th Apr 18, 2:33 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 2:33 PM
    I flew with them from Bristol a fortnight ago and they were allowing all passengers to take one main item and a smaller item such as a handbag or laptop bag in the cabin.
    The rules are as I said above, how they are enforced is a different matter.
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 10th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 696 Thanks
    michele-p
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:42 PM
    If you hang back at boarding, you may find they are asking for larger bags to go into the hold at the gate, which might help
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 11th Apr 18, 8:13 AM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 1,101 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:13 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:13 AM
    Only if they are really, really, stupid.

Originally posted by Sheldon Cooper
    I don't think so - that's how budget airlines are able to keep fares so low, by charging for every extra they can.

The rules are as I said above, how they are enforced is a different matter.
    But Easyjet had purpose built signs up at check-in and then again at the boarding gate, next to the hand luggage size gauge, so I doubt it's on a case by case basis.
    • Sheldon Cooper
    • By Sheldon Cooper 11th Apr 18, 10:14 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    Sheldon Cooper
    I don't think so - that's how budget airlines are able to keep fares so low, by charging for every extra they can.
    The reason I said they would have to be stupid related to your assertion that they would think that I was trying to pay for one and get two.

I've paid for all the baggage I want to take on the plane. I just wanted to know if I could voluntarily accept the generally considered worse option of putting something I was entitled to take into the cabin in the hold, for the convenience of other pasengers and crew.

But if I'm going to be treated as if I'm trying to pull a fast one I simply won't bother trying to be considerate. Taking the rucksack on board will lessen the chance of damage by baggage handlers, anyway.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 11th Apr 18, 10:33 AM
    • 8,243 Posts
    • 10,507 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    I think, ultimately, playing by the rules will keep the system happy.

Regardless of good intention that will inevitably confuse staff used to passengers trying to bend every rule.
    • Sheldon Cooper
    • By Sheldon Cooper 11th Apr 18, 11:14 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    Sheldon Cooper
    I think, ultimately, playing by the rules will keep the system happy.

Regardless of good intention that will inevitably confuse staff used to passengers trying to bend every rule.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    I think you're correct.

And I've realised why.

If two people were travelling together, what's to stop one of them putting their cabin item in the hold and then the other handing them a second piece?

If the system was designed for it, of course, the fact that they'd checked their cabin bag could be marked on the boarding pass, but, as you say, the system is the system and it's probably best not to confuse it..
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 11th Apr 18, 1:49 PM
    • 3,519 Posts
    • 8,720 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Just have an oversized rucksack
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,290Posts Today

9,663Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Interesting piece yet they asked me if it was a publicity stunt and I said yes partially, in order to raise awarene? https://t.co/FdKcO1uMLx

• Follow Martin