Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 10th Apr 18, 9:49 AM
    • 771Posts
    • 505Thanks
    ceh209
    Travel insurance - new medical condition
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:49 AM
    Travel insurance - new medical condition 10th Apr 18 at 9:49 AM
    So I'm going on holiday next week (to the US, in case it's relevant). I have a pre-existing medical condition which was declared at the time of taking out the travel insurance nearly a year ago, all good so far.

I've just been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid. I'm not going to cancel the trip for that (I've been living with it for 6 months while previous doctors claimed I was perfectly fine) , but I do want to be covered if anything happens while I'm away - I think it's quite bad so don't want to pay US medical bills if I have a thyroid crisis!

Do I need to tell the insurer about this or will I definitely be covered?
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
Page 1
    • stokesley
    • By stokesley 10th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    stokesley
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    You need to tell them, I'm afraid. Hope it goes well.
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 10th Apr 18, 1:53 PM
    • 771 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    ceh209
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:53 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:53 PM
    You need to tell them, I'm afraid. Hope it goes well.
    Originally posted by stokesley
    Yeah the concensus at work was that it was better to tell them and not need to than the other way round. Will do it tonight
    • verityboo
    • By verityboo 10th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    • 940 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    verityboo
    • 10th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 2:50 PM
    I would suggest you check the terms of your policy to see whether it is necessary. They should make it clear

My previous experience is that for single trip insurance they do not need to be informed of any changes, but with a multi trip policy they do need to be informed
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 10th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:06 PM
    Definitely need to tell them and if the response is that yes you are still covered, it would be advisable to get some kind of confirmation in writing. Just in case there is a later problem
    • stokesley
    • By stokesley 10th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    stokesley
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    I would suggest you check the terms of your policy to see whether it is necessary. They should make it clear

My previous experience is that for single trip insurance they do not need to be informed of any changes, but with a multi trip policy they do need to be informed
    Originally posted by verityboo
    My regular single trip insurance company has to be kept updated.
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 11th Apr 18, 8:49 AM
    • 771 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    ceh209
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:49 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:49 AM

Originally posted by verityboo
    It's a single trip policy. I've checked the policy documents, it doesn't make it clear at all. Says you have to declare all medical conditions but doesn't say whether that's when taking out the policy or later aswell.

I'll be phoning them when they open at 9am this morning. Fingers crossed it's ok, because I just did quotes on a comparison site in case they won't cover me and it's doubled the price...
    • ceh209
    • By ceh209 11th Apr 18, 9:11 AM
    • 771 Posts
    • 505 Thanks
    ceh209
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:11 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:11 AM
    So I called them, I did have to update them, but I am covered for no extra premium as the condition didn't exist when I took out the policy. I just have to confirm I'm fit to travel with my GP (there will be hell to pay if they say I'm not because I am NOT missing this trip!) - I'm seenig them on Friday.
    Last edited by ceh209; 11-04-2018 at 9:19 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,371Posts Today

8,358Users online

Martin's Twitter