Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • John John
    • By John John 10th Apr 18, 9:30 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    John John
    Bank Account for non-resident non-expat OR other ways to be paid in GBP in the UK
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:30 AM
    Bank Account for non-resident non-expat OR other ways to be paid in GBP in the UK 10th Apr 18 at 9:30 AM
    I know this has already been asked but off-shore bank accounts are not an option because either they ask for a high balance or you need to be an expat. Or maybe you can prove me wrong.

However, I just need to receive regular monthy payments.
    Is there an alternative way to be paid without opening a bank account?

Checks are not an option because where I live GE they are not any longer used and would have huge bank costs to cash them in (something like 40 GBP per check).
    Paypla is not an option for the agent who pays me.

Never thought it would have been so difficutl

Thanks.
    Last edited by John John; 10-04-2018 at 9:45 AM.
Page 1
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 10th Apr 18, 9:51 AM
    • 2,874 Posts
    • 1,225 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:51 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:51 AM
    pay to paypal?
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 10th Apr 18, 8:35 PM
    • 25,373 Posts
    • 12,592 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:35 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:35 PM
    I know this has already been asked but off-shore bank accounts are not an option because either they ask for a high balance or you need to be an expat. Or maybe you can prove me wrong.

However, I just need to receive regular monthy payments.
    Is there an alternative way to be paid without opening a bank account?

Checks are not an option because where I live GE they are not any longer used and would have huge bank costs to cash them in (something like 40 GBP per check).
    Paypla is not an option for the agent who pays me.

Never thought it would have been so difficutl

Thanks.
    Originally posted by John John
    OP if you carefully re read your post - can you honestly say on here that your actions do not sound suspicious?
    There are processes in place to make ''suspicious'' transactions difficult.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 11th Apr 18, 1:54 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    OceanSound
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:54 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:54 AM
    GE? No idea which country the op is talking about.
    However, I do know you can send a uk post office postal order to certain countries up to a maximum value of 250 pounds. It will cost 12.50.
    See: https://www.postoffice.co.uk/postal-orders
    Again, without knowing how much he/she wants to send, cannot say if it's more cost effective (cheaper) than cheque.
    Op: is there any mobile (phone) wallet option in your country?
    Also, some services like this:http://www.xpressmoney.com/currency-calculator.php
    Offer cash pickup at agent. Sending 1000 pounds to georgia will cost 25 pounds. Please check reliability/trustworthyness of service beforehand. I've never used it personally.
    • RustyShackleford
    • By RustyShackleford 11th Apr 18, 8:10 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    RustyShackleford
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:10 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:10 AM
    Perhaps a TransferWise Borderless account?
    • somsman
    • By somsman 11th Apr 18, 8:24 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    somsman
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:24 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:24 AM
    Transferwise Borderless account might work. It is a new service they offer where they open multiple bank accounts for you in UK, Germany (for Euro), US and Australia depending on your needs. No fee to open, no monthly fee, very low % for transferring between your different currencies, and then just a small charge to withdraw money from one of your TW bank accounts to an outside bank account.

May only be available to business customers so far, but I understand they are rolling it out to individuals as well.
    • Flobberchops
    • By Flobberchops 12th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    Flobberchops
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    It would help if I knew where on Earth GE was (Georgia? Germany?) but the Payment Services Directive means that a UK bank cannot presently turn away an EU resident as a customer, at least not on the grounds that they don't have a UK address. Banks don't advertise this as it's a pain for them (verifying documents in foreign languages and non-Roman alphabets for example) and the frontline staff you speak to may genuinely not know this provision exists. But you should be able to open a free UK account.
    I work for a UK bank, but any comments made on this forum are solely my personal opinion. Caveat Emptor!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 13th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    • 4,022 Posts
    • 2,161 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    • 13th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    It's not reasonable to expect advice with such a lack of details, such as source currency, country, the agent's available transfer methods, why no UK account, etc.
    • Canary Bird
    • By Canary Bird 29th May 18, 4:01 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Canary Bird
    • 29th May 18, 4:01 PM
    • 29th May 18, 4:01 PM
    Thanks Flobberchops for this information. I have been trying to open an account as a non uk resident and I am not getting past "are you a UK resident" any tips would be helpful.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 29th May 18, 4:11 PM
    • 2,761 Posts
    • 1,569 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    Why do you need a UK account?

Where do you currently reside?
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 29th May 18, 6:01 PM
    • 25,373 Posts
    • 12,592 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Thanks Flobberchops for this information. I have been trying to open an account as a non uk resident and I am not getting past "are you a UK resident" any tips would be helpful.
    Originally posted by Canary Bird
    If you are a EU citizen then most banks will open you a basic bank account.
    However they will probably have an online application together with an address for you to send the application ID.

Going into a branch will be a no no.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

891Posts Today

6,883Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • One would hope if there were a people's vote, this time we'd have a properly constructed vote, that gave the public? https://t.co/9e5WT51CQz

• I'm getting really confused by people feeling the urgent need to respond to my tweets that all say "this poll isn't? https://t.co/046hq4kZl4

• I've written, published and broadcast on this scores of times. Maybe the easiest explanation is within this? https://t.co/W1MufNrpjS

• Follow Martin