Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 10th Apr 18, 5:27 AM
    • 3,135Posts
    • 2,068Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    Original signed will required?
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:27 AM
    Original signed will required? 10th Apr 18 at 5:27 AM
    My father has passed away and both i and my mother are his Executors. I have a photocopy of his last (signed/witnessed) will - and there are no other named beneficiaries other than my mother and myself - so do I actually require the original will?

The only reason I am hesitant is that my father's solicitors with whom it is lodged wish to charge a fee to release the original will. The fee is not unreasonable at c.40+VAT but if I do not need to incur it then I won't.

Many thanks in advance for any and all replies.
Page 1
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 10th Apr 18, 5:42 AM
    • 2,645 Posts
    • 1,807 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:42 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:42 AM
    If you are applying for probate then you certainly need the original, you cannot claim it is lost because you know where it is.
    If you don't need probate it will depend on whether any of the organisations you need to deal with require site of the original will, or an authorised copy, typically to release funds.
    I would spend the 48.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 10th Apr 18, 6:47 AM
    • 4,511 Posts
    • 3,748 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:47 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:47 AM
    My father has passed away and both i and my mother are his Executors. I have a photocopy of his last (signed/witnessed) will - and there are no other named beneficiaries other than my mother and myself - so do I actually require the original will?

The only reason I am hesitant is that my father's solicitors with whom it is lodged wish to charge a fee to release the original will. The fee is not unreasonable at c.40+VAT but if I do not need to incur it then I won't.

Many thanks in advance for any and all replies.
    Originally posted by TrickyDicky101
    The reason for the fee is that the solicitor has to make identity checks before they can release it. It is not unreasonable. As executors you really need to have possession of the will in case you need it in future for any reason. Without it you have no proof of your authority to act as executor.
    • TrickyDicky101
    • By TrickyDicky101 10th Apr 18, 8:25 AM
    • 3,135 Posts
    • 2,068 Thanks
    TrickyDicky101
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:25 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:25 AM
    Thank you both - I'll be paying the money then.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,065Posts Today

8,203Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks so much to all who watched @itvMLshow LIVE last night. The ratings are in at 2.4m and 12% share, lower tha? https://t.co/Jj62j1fV5F

• RT @stomp_3k: Oh @MartinSLewis would be proud proud of me went sim free on my mobile contract renewal and bought my handset outright saving?

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Wales Govt steps up to help ?severely mentally impaired? access crucial council tax discount after MSE campaign - BUT M?

• Follow Martin