Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • PJD
    • By PJD 10th Apr 18, 12:17 AM
    • 546Posts
    • 180Thanks
    PJD
    0% or cashback CC for me...?
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:17 AM
    0% or cashback CC for me...? 10th Apr 18 at 12:17 AM
    I used (3 - 4 years ago) to always earn money on CCs, - ie, do all my spending on CCs, - pay the minimum each month, and then the balance before the penalty point.

I spend around 500 typically a month on CCs.

Given that CCs offer such a low rate of cash back, I haven't had one for a few years - just been doing all my spending on a debit card.

Okay I'm probably missing out, so I'm going to get another one, however, would it serve me better, given my level of spending, to get a cashback of around 0.5% typically, or go for a 2 year+ interest free and put the money in an ISA (i'm with First Direct who offer 0.75%.

I already have a regular saver with both FD and Nationwide at 5%, and a current account with Nationwide at 5% (on 2.5k)

So I guess the rest would just by syphoned in the 0.75% ISA... unless anyone has any better ideas? I'd love to hear them.

Many thanks for reading.
Page 1
    • Ben8282
    • By Ben8282 10th Apr 18, 1:58 AM
    • 2,408 Posts
    • 1,103 Thanks
    Ben8282
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:58 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:58 AM
    Well a 500pm spend on a 0.5% cashback card will earn you 2.50pm in cashback less any fees associated with the card. For example, the Santander card has a 3pm fee so if you get this card you will be making a loss of 50p per-month. With regard to Amex cashback products best make sure that wherever you spend your 500 accepts Amex.
    With such a low monthly spend it hardly seems worth bothering.
    I think a 0% purchases card and interest on your money is probably the best way to go.
    Your reason for not having had a credit card for years and doing all your spending on a debit card makes no sense really. You could use any old credit card to get 56 days interest free credit and pay in full by direct debit earning a months interest on your money.
    Last edited by Ben8282; 10-04-2018 at 2:17 AM.
    • blitzboy
    • By blitzboy 10th Apr 18, 10:22 AM
    • 459 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    blitzboy
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:22 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 10:22 AM
    Well a 500pm spend on a 0.5% cashback card will earn you 2.50pm in cashback less any fees associated with the card. For example, the Santander card has a 3pm fee so if you get this card you will be making a loss of 50p per-month.
    Originally posted by Ben8282

There are options available for cards without an annual fee. In my wallet at the moment:

ASDA card. If you shop a lot at ASDA (including fuel & George) their card gives 1% on all ASDA spending, but not a lot for any other shopping (was 0.5% but dropping to something like 0.2% this month).

For all non-ASDA shopping I currently use the Amazon Platinum card which pays out in points which get converted to amazon vouchers once you've earned enough for a 10 voucher. This works out at 0.5% on general spend and a bit more on amazon spend (0.75% I think). Again, fee free.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

182Posts Today

1,061Users online

Martin's Twitter