Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bostonducks8
    • By Bostonducks8 9th Apr 18, 11:52 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Bostonducks8
    REMO Child Maintenance
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:52 PM
    REMO Child Maintenance 9th Apr 18 at 11:52 PM
    Hi
    This is my first time posting but I have a problem. My husband moved to the USA from the UK seven years ago, he now wants a divorce. He also recently became a US citizen but two months after doing so he stopped paying child maintenance. His maintenance payments was arranged and agreed informally between us or in my case I accepted and was happy with what I was receiving. For his application for American citizenship he has to prove to be of a good moral character. I had to notarize a letter to say he was making maintenance payments which showed he was meeting his financial obligations in the UK. This commitment to show good moral character is ongoing I believe and of course now he has US citizenship he has stopped and as my arrangement was informal I have no court papers. How can I go about getting him to pay again can I threaten to inform immigration or will that not really do anything but aggravate the already difficult situation?
Page 1
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 10th Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    • 2,285 Posts
    • 3,140 Thanks
    NeilCr
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    "I think newcomers to this forum need to bear in mind that this is a public site on which anyone can post. You can't assume information is trustworthy, indeed some posters are known to disrupt, post disinformation, and tell tall stories.

I would caution newcomers to be wary of any advice supplied that doesn't contain a link to an authoritative site. Such sites include adviceguide, entitled to, turn2us, revenuebenefits.
    Accredited benefit advice is available from local advice agencies such as Citizens Advice.

Please don't take horror stories about benefit assessments, appeals etc at face value. There are posters on here who whose aim seems to be to alarm, frighten, and generally dissuade OP's from pursuing sensible actions to claim / regain the right benefits.

Harmful and misleading posters are easily identified by the reaction to their posts."
    • bspm1
    • By bspm1 10th Apr 18, 5:20 PM
    • 127 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    bspm1
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:20 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 5:20 PM
    Hi
    This is my first time posting but I have a problem. My husband moved to the USA from the UK seven years ago, he now wants a divorce. He also recently became a US citizen but two months after doing so he stopped paying child maintenance. His maintenance payments was arranged and agreed informally between us or in my case I accepted and was happy with what I was receiving. For his application for American citizenship he has to prove to be of a good moral character. I had to notarize a letter to say he was making maintenance payments which showed he was meeting his financial obligations in the UK. This commitment to show good moral character is ongoing I believe and of course now he has US citizenship he has stopped and as my arrangement was informal I have no court papers. How can I go about getting him to pay again can I threaten to inform immigration or will that not really do anything but aggravate the already difficult situation?
    Originally posted by Bostonducks8
    I haven't been a Debt Manager at the CSA for a few years now and rules change so often, but here is what I remember if you want to google....

The UK has a REMO with the US but it differs from State to State so that needs to be checked first.

The UK can not enforce any arrangement you have made yourselves. I believe you need to open a new case with the CSA, have them work out maintenance due, (no arrears will be due from your original agreement until the date they become involved.

I am aware (due to family connections) that Non Resident Parents who owe maintenance are not allowed to travel out of the country, (not sure if this will be a problem to your ex or not) I am not sure how they are stopped, whether it is through their passport or some other ingenious way all I know is my daughter in laws step father (American) was not allowed to fly here to the UK until he had cleared his child maintenance payments.

But first and foremost I think you need to make a legitimate claim for child maintenance.

Good luck.

https://www.gov.uk/child-maintenance

edit....it is apparently called CMS now, Child Maintenance Services for new claims.
    Last edited by bspm1; 10-04-2018 at 5:31 PM.
    • Bostonducks8
    • By Bostonducks8 23rd Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Bostonducks8
    • 23rd Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    • 23rd Apr 18, 8:23 PM
    Thank you for all the responses. I am about to apply to court for a maintenance order and then go to REMO to try to get it enforced in South Carolina. I have been advised that there is nothing I can do about the immigration/citizen rules but there is nothing to stop me writing to inform them of the situation.
    • Rachide
    • By Rachide 24th Apr 18, 11:58 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Rachide
    • 24th Apr 18, 11:58 AM
    • 24th Apr 18, 11:58 AM
    Hi all
    Long story but any help advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Ex and I divorced in France and child maintenance order was in France also for 500 a month for the two children. He then decided to open a case in the UK with the CMS and declared income of less than 7 a week therefore paying nothing for the past two years. (The tax office can't get anything on him as everything is now in his girlfriends name).
    He has a house in the UK and still in France but lives on his yacht in Italy. Can I use a Remo 7 form to see if I can get the French courts to try and get him to pay.
    He has told the CMS that he lives in his house in the UK (even though he rents it out) they sais that as long as he has a toothbrush there he can say he lives there.
    Basically do the French courts still have jurisdiction. Help........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,785Posts Today

8,695Users online

Martin's Twitter