Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ajling
    • By ajling 9th Apr 18, 11:32 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ajling
    New build snagging items builder won't fix
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:32 PM
    New build snagging items builder won't fix 9th Apr 18 at 11:32 PM
    I purchased a new build apartment and moved in 6 months ago. Fair to say had a few snagging items and most have been fixed now.
    But I have 2 fixtures which are damaged (I guess before or when they fitted them) and I only noticed these 2 months after moving in. One was a hallway radiator that has been bent at the back of the radiator and has a side cover missing, the other is the cistern has a crack which has been repaired internally by somebody.
    Now, I reported these back in December 2017 and have been chasing it ever since, I've had plumbers take photos, site staff take photos. The excuses being; contractors not wanting to pay for it and the builder saying they shouldn't have to pay for it. And today, again I get the response that if I want them fixed that I need to pay for it as I didn't pick it up on handover/completion.

In all honesty I just want to pay for it so I can get my dealings with them over and done with. But my stubborn side says no, I paid for a new property everything inside it should be new and undamaged.

Anyone have any ideas on what steps I can take now seeing as they don't want to know about it?
    Last edited by ajling; 09-04-2018 at 11:32 PM. Reason: change text
Page 1
    • MalMonroe
    • By MalMonroe 10th Apr 18, 12:28 AM
    • 68 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    MalMonroe
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:28 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 12:28 AM
    Have a look here http://www.nhbc.co.uk/ Your new home should come with some kind of warranty, used to be 10 years with NHBC. I totally agree with you, it's a new build and it should be perfect. Unfortunately, most often, things aren't perfect. That's why there's NHBC to assist. Get on to them. Good luck!
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 10th Apr 18, 8:40 AM
    • 24,917 Posts
    • 68,308 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:40 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:40 AM
    Have a look here http://www.nhbc.co.uk/ Your new home should come with some kind of warranty, used to be 10 years with NHBC. I totally agree with you, it's a new build and it should be perfect. Unfortunately, most often, things aren't perfect. That's why there's NHBC to assist. Get on to them. Good luck!
    Originally posted by MalMonroe
    It isn't where NHBC are there to assist. NHBC only relates to structural problems and definitely doesn't apply to snagging items in the first two years, which is the builder's responsibility.

The OP will get nothing from them.

It's a shame that developers are so poor at snagging. Given the cost of a property and the cheap way that they build, one would expect them to be happy to repair items.

You either choose to be a persistant PITA to the developer or you choose the easy life, OP.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • ajling
    • By ajling 10th Apr 18, 9:12 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ajling
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:12 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:12 AM
    Thanks MalMonroe, but as DoozerGirl said NHBC only deal with structural issues after the 2 years is up - and even they said the builder should be fixing these issues in the first 2 years (spoke to them yesterday).

I agree with you DoozerGirl, its a 20 radiator and a 100 pound cistern (from what I can find online) I really can't see why the builder won't do it...

thanks for the responses
    • rdr
    • By rdr 10th Apr 18, 11:28 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    rdr
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:28 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:28 AM
    Most house builders are no better at quality control than BL were in the 70s. If you could import houses the british house building industry would go the same way as BL.
    The sites are under managed, and expecting the customer to do the final inspection less than a week before they move in? It is laughable.
    I would employ a professional snag finder if I bought another new house.
    One good thing that might come out of the Grenfall tragedy is that they may be forced to manage the construction better.

ps The NHBC are a bunch of chocolate teapots.
    Last edited by rdr; 10-04-2018 at 11:29 AM. Reason: adding PS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

364Posts Today

4,620Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin