Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Totalmusic
    • By Totalmusic 9th Apr 18, 11:23 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Totalmusic
    Business bank account help
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:23 PM
    Business bank account help 9th Apr 18 at 11:23 PM
    Hi,

I'm after some advice from the great community on here. I've traded as a sole trader and covered my own self-assessment tax returns for 17 years but have been speaking to an accountant who has suggested I become a limited company since this will work better for me.

I therefore need to have a new bank account and advised to have a business bank account, not a personal account. I need to still keep my personal accounts but my income now needs to come via a business account since it will have 'ltd' at the end of my name.

Seemingly the rules for business banking are very different and none of them seem to encourage new customers in the way personal bank accounts do. Since I've been trading for a number of years, I can't take advantage of the fee-free periods of banking. I simply will be receiving money from the 3 places where I work and won't need to make many transactions or have an overdraft through it since I will drawing a monthly amount from it to my personal account.

Seemingly I have to pay a monthly fee AND pay the bank when I put money into the account. This seems crazy to me but seemingly this is how business banking works. I'm fairly naive in this area so any suggestions or help would be really welcome.

Many thanks,

Neil
Page 1
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 9th Apr 18, 11:53 PM
    • 6,858 Posts
    • 7,112 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:53 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:53 PM
    Since I've been trading for a number of years, I can't take advantage of the fee-free periods of banking.
    Originally posted by Totalmusic
    You may have been trading for a number of years but the new limited company hasn't and so is technically a startup - from memory at least one of the banks offering new business deals (Santander perhaps?) has a clause excluding such changes of legal entity but worth checking the small print thoroughly....
    • alanq
    • By alanq 10th Apr 18, 1:04 AM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 2,578 Thanks
    alanq
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:04 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 1:04 AM
    With low activity you may be able to avoid transaction and monthly fees.

e.g. MetroBank gives 50 transactions per month and no monthly fee provide a minimum balance of 5000 is maintained. (Not much help if you do not have a Metro Bank nearby)

https://www.metrobankonline.co.uk/business/current-accounts/products/business-bank-account/#a88b3c11-80af-49ef-961b-343aae7c8810
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 10th Apr 18, 8:53 AM
    • 1,477 Posts
    • 3,967 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:53 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:53 AM
    Starling have a new very low cost business account for limited companies: https://www.starlingbank.com/business-account/
    • will-he-payitoff
    • By will-he-payitoff 10th Apr 18, 11:12 AM
    • 691 Posts
    • 191 Thanks
    will-he-payitoff
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:12 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 11:12 AM
    I had no problems opening one with Santander and then Yorkshire Bank.
    • Totalmusic
    • By Totalmusic 14th Apr 18, 3:21 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Totalmusic
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:21 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 3:21 PM
    Many thanks all of you. I have been researching and feel a lot better following on from some of your advice too.

Neil
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 14th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 24,657 Posts
    • 11,888 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 14th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    I think Lloyds treats a ltd company as a new entity so a new start.

Don't forget bank charges are a valid business expense so you will pay less tax anyway.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,659Posts Today

8,576Users online

Martin's Twitter