Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pointer77
    • By pointer77 9th Apr 18, 10:38 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 3Thanks
    pointer77
    Two mortgages?
    • 9th Apr 18, 10:38 PM
    Two mortgages? 9th Apr 18 at 10:38 PM
    Hello All,

Newbie here looking for some advice.

We have had an offer accepted on a house we really like and at the time the sale of my flat was going through nicely.
    Since then my buyer has pulled out which means my flat is back on the market. I have a mortgage on this property but at the moment I'm living with my partner who rents her house and we were due to buy together.

We really don't want to pull out of our new house (the deposit for the mortgage still won't be a problem) but where do I stand with having two mortgages? Is it best to pull out of the new one or hope that my flat sells quickly now its back on the market?
Page 1
    • kingstreet
    • By kingstreet 10th Apr 18, 8:00 AM
    • 34,101 Posts
    • 18,503 Thanks
    kingstreet
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:00 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:00 AM
    You would need to establish;-

that you pass affordability with your new lender with the mortgage remaining in place and;

that your new lender will accept the mortgage remaining in place.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 10th Apr 18, 8:11 AM
    • 7,038 Posts
    • 15,215 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:11 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 8:11 AM
    Is it possible for your partner to buy just in her name?

You are unlikely to be offered a mortgage on a new property unless your income is deemed sufficient to cover two mortgages. You are also in the realm of the second home stamp duty surcharge if you buy a new property while still having your current flat.

You could reduce the price of your flat to sell it quickly. Is there a reason why your purchase pulled out and how long did it take you to find a buyer?
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • pointer7
    • By pointer7 10th Apr 18, 9:18 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    pointer7
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:18 AM
    • 10th Apr 18, 9:18 AM
    We didn't even think of my partner buying in her name, I think she maybe able to afford it, its something we will look in to.

My buyer pulled out because it was taking too long but it was his solicitor who kept raising ridiculous queries/questions and holding the sale up (we have been ready for months) but we had a viewing 30 mins after it went back on to the market which was good.

It only took a couple of weeks to find the buyer in the first place so I'm quite confident it will sell quickly
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,675Posts Today

7,995Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin